Investment Strategist - #242952
Date: 05/05/2021 02:01 AM
City: Sausalito, California
Contract type: Full Time
Work schedule: Full Day
About the Firm
At Aperio (part of BlackRock), our strategies are designed to put our clients’ and their clients’ interests at the center of our investment advice; to minimize costs and taxes; and to incorporate each client’s unique environmental, social, and governance (ESG) preferences. We are a purposefully growing quantitative/index-tracking investment management business specializing in managing customized equity portfolios tax efficiently.
At Aperio, we work hard and move quickly as a well-coordinated, collaborative team whose exceptional people are focused on providing extraordinary client service. If you are looking for an opportunity to grow and contribute in a fun, industry-disruptive, fast-paced environment, Aperio is the place for you.
About This Role
We are looking for an Investment Strategist to join our quantitative portfolio management team. The Investment Strategist will have several key directives, including (1) developing the Aperio portfolio management skills to rebalance client accounts using our leading-edge portfolio risk and optimization technologies; (2) explaining Aperio’s investment process, philosophy, and strategies to clients and prospects in conjunction with our client relationship team members; and (3) supporting our clients with modeling more complex portfolio transition and construction problems that involve understanding the trade-offs among risk, tax, and customization priorities.
Our headquarters is in Sausalito, California, only one block from the beautiful harbor. It’s a short, 20-minute drive from much of San Francisco. We are looking for talented individuals in the San Francisco Bay Area as well as nationwide as a remote opportunity. If not local, when travel is permitted, team members are expected to visit the office periodically for training and to work with the core onsite team.
- Develop the ability to construct and manage equity portfolios using quantitative techniques (optimization)
- Explain complex information during client meetings in a thoughtful, easy-to-understand, and respectful manner for different levels of client sophistication
- Partner with our clients to understand their goals and construct often-complex analyses that help them understand the trade-offs among competing investment objectives
- Serve as a subject matter expert on investment content used internally and externally
- Collaborate with the team and others at Aperio to create and deliver information on various investment topics that strengthens internal knowledge and enables our client-facing team to more thoughtfully and efficiently support clients and prospects
- Test enhancements to proprietary Aperio systems used in portfolio management and analysis workflows
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Business, or a related field
- Five-plus years of relevant work experience
- Excellent analytical/problem-solving and computer skills with an emphasis on practice and accuracy over theory and precision (our researchers have those areas covered)
- Working knowledge of modern portfolio theory and its application
- Experience/familiarity with equity risk models (MSCI Barra preferred) and portfolio optimization
- Experience with performance calculations, limitations, and applications
- Strong Excel skills
- Acute attention to detail and proofing
- Advanced communication skills, including writing, discussing, presenting, and listening
- Excellent organizational skills
- Demonstrated client service ethos and skills
- Comfortable working and collaborating in a dynamic, small group environment that demands flexibility and a DIY attitude
- Exposure to factor-based investing (“smart beta”) and ESG/SRI is a plus
- Experience with SQL and VBA is a plus
- CFA preferred
- Client-facing experience is a plus