Counselor II- Eating Disorder, Outpatient - #242776
Discovery Behavioral Health
Date: 05/04/2021 23:31 PM
City: Columbia, Maryland
Contract type: Full Time
Work schedule: Full Day
At Center For Discovery you will have the opportunity to work closely within a team of professionals consisting of eating disorder and mental health experts, all dedicated to promoting lasting health and healing. Clinical supervision and guidance are provided on total client care and therapeutic milieu management, as well as career growth and personal development oversight. You will develop an individualized growth plan which will help you develop your professional skills and career objectives.
If you are looking for an organization that thrives on growth, celebrates diversity of thought, and rewards passionate execution, you’ve come to the right place. Because we put clients first, it is our honor to support and reward those who serve them.
As a Counselor II, you will be responsible for assisting and supporting clients through the entire treatment experience from admission through discharge. You will work daily with our clients and be responsible for:
- Contributing insightful, practical and meaningful information to support the client’s behavior, mood and healing process
- Role-modeling appropriate and supportive behavior based on your training and experience
- Supporting our clients in their journey to a healthier and more productive life
The Counselor II often part of the client’s major support system, and as such, derive great satisfaction from making a powerful difference in their lives. The Counselor II manages crisis situations such as food refusal, emotional breakdowns and more. Center For Discovery is open to ideas for connecting with our clients in new and innovative ways. Counselor IIs are empowered to be creative in their approach as personal strengths, skills and passions (e.g. yoga, art, hobbies…) may be integrated into our program.
- Greeting new clients and introducing them to their primary treatment team
- Determining whether the new client has any special needs, communicating those needs to the treatment team and assisting in making sure the needs are met
- Eating together during meal times to model positive dietary behaviors
- Contributing to the well-being of all clients by serving as a positive role model, demonstrating appropriate dress, grooming, communication and positive behavior in a professional, warm and caring manner, and if the client needs to “check in,” helps the client to engage in positive coping skills
- Facilitating the treatment plan set forth by the Therapist by providing day-to-day support
- Responsibility for running therapeutic groups including education on coping skills, relapse prevention, DBT, psycho education, life skills, etc.
- Assisting the Facility Coordinator and/or Program Director as needed
- Assisting Therapists in the discharge process by helping the client transition home
- Participating in a weekly multi-disciplinary team meeting
- Sharing vital information of the client’s progress with the treatment team
- Understanding and maintaining the confidential nature of all client and program related activities
- Dedicating to personal growth by pursuing educational and personal growth plans and encouraging others to do the same
- Supporting, promoting and defending the Discovery culture by strictly adhering to its philosophy, mission, objectives and value statements
- Attending all training, education and staff enrichment activities
This is a full-time position at one of our outpatient programs working Tuesday- Saturday. For a virtual tour of the facility, please visit our website at centerfordiscovery.com.
- Bachelor’s degree (B.A.) from four-year college or university and two years’ experience working within the mental health, counseling, or eating disorder field or
- Master’s degree from an accredited university and one years’ experience working within the mental health, counselor, or eating disorder field
- Must attend all training, education, and staff enrichment activities
- Must possess a current Driver’s License in good standing
We are proud to be an EEO employer M/F/D/V. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, or national origin.
For more information about our company benefits, please visit us at discoverybehavioralhealth.com/careers/