Laboratory Associate - #242669
Yale-New Haven Health
Date: 05/04/2021 22:01 PM
City: New Haven, Connecticut
Contract type: Full Time
Work schedule: Full Day
To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values - integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion - must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
This position reports to the Specimen Processing manager of Laboratory Medicine. Under the supervision of the manager, shift coordinators, medical technologists and specified research personnel, performs a variety of duties related to research sample procurement in an accurate and timely fashion. Utilizes Epic/Beaker database to identify patient samples, reviews LIS to determine that appropriate samples have completed clinical testing and accurately classifies samples as ?to be discarded pathologic material.? Utilizes tracking software to identify correct samples, aliquot samples into identified or de-identified daughter tubes, package, sorts and store samples for research pickup. Accurately and efficiently record sample procurement into electronic or CRF records. Cooperatively and proactively assists in all Specimen Processing areas when not actively engaged in or assigned to research responsibilities. Maintains effective communication and harmoniously interacts with peers following all CHAMP and HRO standards. Maintains efficiency and assumes full responsibilities of Laboratory Associate in Specimen Processing. Adapts to expanding departmental needs and accepting reassignments as needed within Specimen Processing.
- Communication Skills/Customer Service: Receives calls for information. Transmits results for all laboratory testing to the appropriate healthcare team members on request to ensure that the laboratory fulfills the mission of providing excellent patient care while maintaining patient confidentiality.?
- 1.1 Demonstrates good customer service by answering the phone within three (3) rings with name, department, and 'How may I help you?' Always asks permission of caller to be placed on hold. Receives no more than 2 relevant complaints from our customers.
- Specimen Handling: Receives, sorts, accessions specimens in order to ensure accurate and timely reporting of results. Ensures positive patient identification. Is able to independently troubleshoot specimen-related problems.
- 2.1 Follows the established sample handling guidelines and standard precautions. Sorts and accessions specimens by specimen type, stability and priority. Exceeds: No more than 2 sample processing errors. No sample processing errors which relate to correct patient identification.
- Computer Skills: Uses computer programs in laboratory and hospital based systems to ensure accurate data entry and retrieval. Recognizes and addresses problems, malfunction, downtime situations or crashes. Communicates and/or assists computer operations to resolve problems as documented by computer operations, managers and supervisors.
- 3.1 Uses all computer based systems. Recognizes malfunctions and communicates problems to computer operations. Exceeds: Ability to resolve problems independently.
- Specimen Processing and storage: Centrifuges, aliquots and properly stores specimens to ensure accurate stability and patient identification is maintained. Exceeds: Is able to troubleshoot specimen-related problems and act as a resource for others.
- 4.1 Follows all processing and aliquoting guidelines to correctly process specimens. Uses resources on hand, the Lab Test Manual and lab labels to properly aliquot all samples. Exceeds: Is able to troubleshoot specimen problems and act as a resource to others.
HS degree required, AS or BS degree in Health Sciences or related field preferred.
2 years related hospital laboratory experience preferred.
Responsible for receiving, sorting, accessioning, redirecting and processing of specimens in order to ensure timely reporting of results. Responsible to accurately log specimens into the laboratory information system. Ensures positive patient identification. Is able to independently troubleshoot specimen -related problems including those of the pneumatic tube system. Determines which problems need to be triaged /referred to the laboratory manager or appropriate person. Works effectively with customer to answer specimen or other laboratory related questions in a timely manner to ensure the best patient care.
Standing 50 %, walking 15%, lifting 25 lbs. and the opening and closing of sample carriers. Working knowledge of computer systems and medical terminology helpful. Excellent customer service skills required to include : communication skills, telephone skills and interpersonal skills. Excellent attention to detail is a must. Must be able to perform multiple tasks and have the ability to prioritize. Flexibility in scheduling will be required.
YNHHS Requisition ID