AML Investigator - #242365
Date: 05/04/2021 18:01 PM
City: Westwood, Massachusetts
Contract type: Full Time
Work schedule: Full Day
As required by the Bank Secrecy Act and the US Patriot Act, the purpose of this position is to investigate cases of both potential money laundering/terrorist financing crimes and BSA/AML violations throughout the entire CFG footprint utilizing an internal AML application, referrals from business lines, and open source intelligence such as negative media, internet research, information from peer banks, and information from law enforcement. Conduct due diligence inquiries on individuals, firms and organizations suspected of money laundering crimes/AML/BSA violations, or identified as a member of a higher AML risk population. Interact with Retail and other business unit managers across CFG. Prepare and file Suspicious Activity Reports as required by BSA Regulations. Interact with and provide supporting documentation and information to law enforcement representatives, including IRS-CI, Secret Service, Homeland Security, ICE, and the FBI as requested. Make closing recommendations on customers based on account activity.
- Conduct financial forensic investigations on AML cases involving complex patterns of transactions. Case sources include an internal application, referrals from business lines, law enforcement and department intelligence.
- Perform an independent assessment of the risk represented by the customer and/or the activity in which the customer has engaged.
- Determine the best investigative approach for each unique case, ensuring that key questions are addressed and that department policies/regulatory expectations are satisfied.
- Exercise critical thinking and critical decision making skills to efficiently and effectively determine whether or not further investigative and analytical activity is required.
- Exercise autonomous decisioning as regards the status of referred customers/activity (e.g., case/ no case, SAR/ No SAR, customer exit/customer retention).
- Create and organize comprehensive case files that document the decision making process and contain all applicable supporting documentation.
- Prepare Suspicious Activity Reports, ensuring that the observed activity is clearly and effectively described for a law enforcement audience.
- Exercise independent discretion regarding problem resolution (investigator is expected to identify, evaluate, and resolve problems rather than just report/refer to Management).
- Demonstrate the ability to identify and escalate customers/activity that represents a significant risk to CFG in terms of regulatory compliance, violation of law, or reputation.
- Ensure that SARs meet all regulatory requirements and are completed within the required regulatory timeframe.
- Demonstrate a good understanding of BSA/AML regulations, and the ability to apply that knowledge to the analysis/review of customers and activity in order to identify and report suspicious activity.
- Organize and prioritize work tasks to ensure that a large volume of work is completed in a risk based and efficient manner.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with law enforcement by providing information and documentation to them as requested.
- Support Branch and business line personnel on BSA/AML matters
- Effectively communicate to bank personnel the rationale behind closing recommendations
- Financial Services 2-4 years
- AML Investigations 2-4 years preferred
- Knowledge of AML regulations and industry best practices
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong investigative and research skills
- Ability to prioritize a complex work load
- Excellent knowledge of retail banking, lending and bank operations processes
- Ability to provide high quality service to all business units across CFG and adhere to Quality Standards and Corporate Values
- Excellent Microsoft Word and Excel skills along with general proficiency in adapting to new software applications
- Bachelor Degree Required – All relevant majors considered including Forensic Accounting, Criminal Justice, Business Administration, etc
- Other Education or Training Preferred - CAMS certification (Certified Anti-Money Laundering Specialist).
- CAMS certification desirable
Hours and Work Schedule
Hours per Week: 40
Work Schedule: Monday-Friday
Why Work for Us
At Citizens, you'll find a customer-centric culture built around helping our customers and giving back to our local communities. When you join our team, you are part of a supportive and collaborative workforce, with access to training and tools to accelerate your potential and maximize your career growth.
Equal Employment Opportunity
It is the policy of Citizens to provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all colleagues and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, religion, gender, pregnancy/childbirth, colleague or a dependent’s reproductive health decision making, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability or perceived disability, genetic information, genetic characteristic, citizenship, veteran or military status, marital or domestic partner status, family status/parenthood, victim of domestic violence, or any other category protected by federal, state and/or local laws.
Equal Employment and Opportunity Employer/Disabled/Veteran
Citizens is a brand name of Citizens Bank, N.A. and each of its respective affiliates.