Senior Staff Assistant - #242325
Date: 05/04/2021 17:30 PM
City: Oswego, New York
Contract type: Full Time
Work schedule: Full Day
About SUNY Oswego:
Founded in 1861, SUNY Oswego is a public comprehensive college located in Central New York on the beautiful shores of Lake Ontario, 45 minutes from Syracuse. Named one of "Top Up-and-Coming Schools" in U.S. News "America's Best Colleges" in 2010, a Kiplinger's "Best College Value" for 2015, and a "Best Northeastern College" by Princeton Review every year since the first edition in 2003, Oswego offers its 8000 undergraduate and graduate students preeminent academic programs in the arts and sciences, business, communications, and teacher education. The College's success is built on providing students outstanding educational experiences with attention to a liberal arts and sciences foundation, practical applications, interdisciplinary approaches, independent scholarly and creative work, and skills for living in multicultural and global communities. The emphasis on faculty-mentored student research and creative projects is evidenced by Quest, a daylong symposium spotlighting original student research; a stipend program for students engaged in research and creative work; and the Global Laboratory, a STEM-based research abroad program at top-ranked universities around the world. SUNY Oswego is an unusually collegial and vibrant community and is in a time of wonderful opportunities with extensive facilities construction and renovation, a forward-looking strategic plan, and expanded outreach to regional, national, and international communities.
Click here for additional information about SUNY Oswego.
Oswego is committed to enhancing its diversity. SUNY Oswego is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and is actively engaged in recruiting, supporting, and fostering a diverse community of outstanding faculty, staff and students. We encourage applications from qualified applicants regardless of race, color, national origin, religion, creed, age, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, familial status, pregnancy, predisposing genetic characteristics, military status, domestic violence victim SUNY status, or criminal conviction. Please click here to see our full non-discrimination policy.
In accordance with USCIS regulations, successful applicants must be legally able to work in the United States per the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986.
Requests for reasonable accommodations of a disability during the application and/or interview process should be made to the Human Resources Office by calling 315-312-2230 or emailing email@example.com.
For Campus Safety information, please click here to see the Annual Security and Fire Report (Clery).
SUNY Oswego is a smoke free/tobacco/e-cigarette free campus. Click here for further policy details, including education and cessation resources.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor's Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Description of Department: The School of Business (SOB) is the second-largest academic division of SUNY Oswego. It is accredited by the AACSB (Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business). The School consists of two academic departments (Accounting Finance and Law (AFL), Marketing and Management (MM)) and a graduate program. It offers 7 undergraduate majors, a graduate degree (MBA), and 3 specialized 5-year programs (Broadcasting, Psychology, and Public Accounting). The school has 36 full-time faculty. The School of Business seeks to engage a wide array of diverse populations that include those with socio-economic, cultural and racially diverse backgrounds. The School, through the outstanding work done by its Diversity and Inclusion Standing Committee, has been working on significant initiatives in collaboration with other divisions across the College and outside to offer the most inclusive academic and co-curricular experiences that provide opportunities to all, reflecting both SUNY Oswego's and the AACSB's commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion.
The School of Business Deans Office at the State University of New York at Oswego invites applications for a full-time Senior Staff Assistant.
Posting Date: April 6, 2021
Review Date: Review of applications will begin immediately will continue until the position is filled.
Benefit Information: The State University of New York provides an excellent benefit package. Click here for more information on benefits for full-time United University Professions (UUP) professional staff or click here for a benefits summary.
Date of Appointment: As soon as possible
Description of Responsibilities:
The Senior Staff Assistant, a vital member of the School of Business (SOB) Deans Office, will manage all operations of the Dean's Office and supervise the workings of the Department office. The Senior Staff Assistant works with sensitive and confidential information, frequently under time deadlines, and exercises independent judgment and discretion.
Reporting to the Dean, the Senior Staff Assistant responsibilities will also include:
- Facilitate and ensure accuracy, confidentiality, appropriateness, and timeliness of all necessary documentation of SOB personnel matters
- Day-to-day oversight of SOB budgetary accounts ensuring accuracy and account processing
- Prepare SOB budget and fiscal projections
- Oversight of the department budgets maintained by the Office Assistant in the department office
- Work in collaboration with Dean on confidential personnel, budget, and strategic initiatives
- Complete all necessary AACSB surveys, maintain necessary documentation needed to file various accreditation reports and respond to accreditation inquires
- Lead website creation in line with SOB strategic initiatives, goals and programs
- Facilitate annual events (Alumni Symposium, Business Panel Discussion, the Innovation Challenge, Launch-It, etc.)
- Serve as community liaison for inquiries regarding SOB programs and events
- Serve as liaison to administrative and departmental offices campus-wide
- Educate department chairs and faculty on required procedures, responsibilities and obligations
- Ensure deadlines are met
- Identify and develop office efficiencies, processes and make improvements
- Research and adapt to new technologies in the area of student engagement and support services
- Interact and collaborate with business executives while assisting with the execution of virtual and face-to-face events
- Direct workflow, and manage graduate assistant(s) and work-study worker(s)
- Cultivate strong working relationships with other units and offices on campus to enable smooth and accurate business processes
- Plan and coordinate various events
- Assist Department Chairs and faculty as needed
- Collaborate with Advisement and MBA office staff
The Senior Staff Assistant collaborates with staff in the Provost's Office and works closely with Academic Deans and Directors, the President's Office as well as the Office of Administration and Finance and Human Resources.
SUNY Oswego works continuously to create an inclusive environment which respects, embraces, and promotes cultural safety, belonging, civil discourse, cultural humility, and other values and goals outlined in SUNY Oswego's Strategic Diversity and Inclusion Plan (https://www.oswego.edu/diversity/xqttzadavcxcbszsqyautyfrbst). As such, the Senior Staff Assistant will be expected to contribute to these efforts and possess communication and interpersonal skills necessary to engage effectively with an increasingly diverse community of students and colleagues.
- Bachelor's degree by the time of appointment
- Excellent oral, interpersonal, and written communication skills
- Ability to work at a high level of attention to detail, while maintaining accuracy
- Excellent independent judgment including sensitivity to personal information and ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality
- Ability to develop collegial working relationships with individuals at all organizational levels
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to be creative, flexible, self-motivated
- Discretion, diplomacy, sound judgment in the performance of duties
- Demonstrated ability to work with limited direction and with sensitive and confidential information
- Proficiency in operating a personal computer utilizing Windows/Mac based products and business software programs (Word, Excel, E-Mail, and PowerPoint)
- Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Two or more years administrative experience
- Experience working in Higher Education
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusion as evidenced in professional work, professional development, and/or service
If you have any questions about the position, please e-mail:
Raihan Khan, Search Committee Chair - email@example.com
Files must be complete (all documents requested and required in the application instructions submitted) to be considered. Official transcripts required at time of appointment.
Visa sponsorship not available for this position.
To Apply Submit:
- Cover letter addressing qualifications
- Diversity, Equity and inclusion statement addressing how your commitment to the college's values of diversity, equity and inclusion of underserved populations has been demonstrated in your career experience, professional development or community services (job roles, certification, volunteer work, etc.).
- Copy of unofficial (or copy of official) transcript for required degree or program in progress
- Contact information for 3 professional references, with at least one reference being a current or former manager (please note - only the 3 references listed in your Interview Exchange application file can be considered and contacted)
electronically by clicking on the APPLY NOW button.
You may add additional files/documents after uploading your resume. After you fill out your contact information, you will be directed to the upload page. Please click here to login to check/edit your profile or to upload additional documents.
Please click CONTACT US if you need assistance applying through this website.