Senior Software Engineer, Web Performance - #197805
Date: 04/09/2021 00:30 AM
City: Brooklyn, New York
Contract type: Full Time
Work schedule: Full Day
As an Etsy employee, you can do the work you love, be yourself, and make an impact in the lives of millions. Our commitments to diversity and inclusion, team culture and the spaces where we work all reflect our mission to keep commerce human
The Web Performance team is looking for a Senior Software Engineer to join our mission to make Etsy’s web experience fast.
As a member of the Web Performance team, you’ll help us with performance instrumentation and observability, help educate our teams about performance best practices, and help our teams resolve performance concerns.
This is a full-time role open to remote locations or any of our offices. For candidates who will work remotely from Colorado, visit this link for information related to Colorado's Equal Pay for Equal Work Act.
What you'll do:
- You’ll work with our product partners to proactively ensure their features are performant for Etsy’s web users.
- You’ll help our product partners understand what might be causing performance issues relevant to their work.
- You’ll document and distribute knowledge of performance best practices across engineering at Etsy.
- We believe strongly in using both quantitative and qualitative methods to guide decisions. To that end, you'll not only use our in-house analytics tools to gather information and gain insights, but you’ll also help build those tools.
- You'll also use Etsy's Continuous Deployment architecture to push code to production early and often (and you'll probably push in your first week here).
- The Web Performance team is in the Product Infrastructure org. You’ll work most closely with other engineers in Product Infrastructure, but also build relationships with designers and engineers across product teams.
Who you are:
- You have experience working with object-oriented PHP and writing views in React and its cast of supporting libraries.
- You are familiar with browser and performance monitoring APIs, both in RUM and synthetic monitoring.
- You have working knowledge of browser performance metrics.
- You are familiar with the browser request and rendering “waterfall” and how to optimize it.
- Bonus points if you have any combination of skills regarding data streaming, SQL, Google BigQuery, or any other experience with big data.
Interested in joining the team? Send us a cover letter and your resume explaining why you’d be great for the job. We value individuality and variety, so make sure to tell us what you’re all about. If you have an online presence (blog, Twitter, Facebook), send it along. And if you write, draw, craft, or contribute to something you’re proud of, we’d love to hear about it.
At Etsy, we believe that a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace makes us a more relevant, more competitive, and more resilient company. We welcome people from all backgrounds, ethnicities, cultures, and experiences. Etsy is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other legally protected status
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided a reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment
While Etsy supports visa sponsorship, sponsorship opportunities may be limited to certain roles and skillsets.