Service Estimator - #197404
Collins Electrical Company, Inc.
Date: 04/08/2021 18:32 PM
City: West Sacramento, California
Contract type: Full Time
Work schedule: Full Day
Collins Electrical Company, Inc. is a nationally recognized electrical contractor with offices in Stockton, Sacramento, Marina, Dublin and Fresno, California. Our projects are commercial, institutional and light industrial and range from $200,000 to $20,000,000.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Collins Electrical Company, Inc. is an EO employer – M/F/Veteran/Disability
The purpose of the Estimator is to prepare portions of contract proposal estimates for one or more disciplines. Estimator computes cost factors and prepares estimates for electrical construction projects used for management purposes such as planning, organizing, and scheduling work. The Estimator controls the construction costs by collecting and studying available documents and developing accurate, competitive and profitable bid proposals for a variety of electrical projects.
Duties and responsibilities
- Analyze and compile estimate data that impact the cost of labor, materials, equipment requirements, location and other factors to ensure a high quality and timely estimate.
- Review and evaluate project plans and specifications, bid documents, and other relevant project documents to identify what is needed for a project to create a bid proposal in a manner and level of detail consistent with the project goals.
- Analyze project for value engineering options while taking into account specific job conditions that may affect labor and material to be purchased and installed.
- Demonstrate proficiency in development and issuing of RFP's to qualified vendors and subcontractors so proposals can be accurately evaluated prior to bid review process. Must ensure RFP's establish basis of scope and pricing from supplier/subcontractor. When scope or RFP discrepancies occur, collaborates with vendors, subcontractors and other individuals as necessary in order to formulate estimates and resolve issues.
- Calculate various statistical data: quantity take-offs, material price lists, labor costs, equipment cost, and specialty items. Track and research historical data (purchase orders, subcontracts, etc.) to develop guidelines and precedence for future estimates.
- Prepare bid documents including specific scope letter for each project and evaluations with adjustments for buy-outs, labor rate, productivity, etc.
- Works with Sr. Estimator/Chief Estimator and/or Estimating Manager to review and approve components of the bid package, submittals and decisions through the process.
- When necessary, assign portions of project responsibilities to Junior Estimators to meet deadlines.
- Develop and maintain a positive relationship with vendors and subcontractors.
- Attend estimating/project meetings to discuss bid status, and present/resolve issues.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Attends job site walks as necessary to ensure that any field conditions that may potentially affect or impact the construction, prospective bid or pre-construction designs are properly handled.
- Perform other related duties as required and assigned.
- Four-year degree in engineering, construction management or construction-related course of study from an accredited school or equivalent combination of education, technical training, and/or related experience in the electrical contractor or comparable industry.
- Minimum of 5 years direct Estimating experience in Electrical Construction Projects
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities
- Ability to interact effectively and professionally with all levels of employees, both management and peers, vendors, clients and others.
- Independently estimates projects up to $1M and/or ability to manage larger projects with the assistance of a Senior Estimator
- Thorough understanding of electrical construction, contracts, and terminology.
- Excellent organizational and decision making/problem solving skills.
- Strong written and oral communication skills to effectively disseminate information.
- Ability to make administrative and procedural decisions and judgments.
- Ability to foster a cooperative work environment.
- Ability to plan, develop and coordinate multiple projects simultaneously.
- Advanced arithmetic calculation skills required for estimating.
- Proficient in Software/Computer programs and equipment.
- Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Software programs i.e. Accubid, Spectrum
- General office equipment
- Knowledgeable of NEC and local codes.
- Ability to work accurately and quickly in a fast pace, high-stressed environment
- Excellent organizational and analytical skills.
- Highly effective interpersonal skills to effectively communicate with management, staff, and outside contacts.
Duties are normally performed in an office setting. The noise level in the work environment is typical of most office environments which is usually moderate. This position may occasionally be asked to visit job sites and could be exposed to outdoor weather conditions and noise may be loud in a construction environment.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
Interested applicants can submit resumes to: [email protected] collinselectric.com