Medical Records Technician - #197298
Date: 04/08/2021 17:30 PM
City: Wexford, Pennsylvania
Contract type: Full Time
Work schedule: Full Day
Community Medicine Inc. is looking for support to help complete the FMLA and Disability paperwork for the Tri Rivers practice in Wexford, PA. They will work with the patients to obtain all necessary information, authorizations, and fees for these forms. Perform duties related to the retrieval, delivery and refiling of medical records needed for patient care, billing, research, and legal purposes. File medical reports and correspondence within the record. Process all requests for copies of the medical record in accordance with established policy and procedure.
- Account for the return of medical records from authorized users and verifies correct chart order before re-filing.
- Demonstrate a service-oriented approach to his/her position by conveying courtesy, respect, enthusiasm, and a positive attitude in work situations by showing initiative and aiding other staff members and hospital personnel in the completion of the department's work, and by making patient care and/or interdepartmental service the priority while working.
- File loose medical reports, x-rays, correspondence, etc., appropriately within the medical record.
- File medical records into permanent, secondary, and off-site storage locations as indicated.
- Obtain approval to remove medical records from the legal file and insure their correct return.
- Retrieve medical records from permanent and off-site storage locations for physicians, the Billing Office, and all other authorized department personnel.
- Account for and file Emergency Department reports.
- Maintain weekly counts of records retrieved for patient care, billing, and research.
- Prepare new record folders / contents, as necessary.
- Maintain the neatness and accuracy of permanent, secondary, and off-site storage locations.
- Process all requests for photocopies of medical records, as received from patients, the Billing Office, and physicians or their secretaries. Ensure that a proper written patient authorization is received for each request and is filed with the medical record.
- High school graduate or equivalent is required.
- Must be adept with the alphabet and numerals. Must demonstrate good organizational and communication skills. Typing skill is preferred but not mandatory. Must have the ability to ambulate and to perform some lifting functions.
- FMLA and disability experience preferred not required
- Good computer skills
- Effective communication skills
Licensure, Certifications, and Clearances:
- Act 34
- UPMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran