Registered Nurse - Acute Care - #197265
Tomah Memorial Hospital
Date: 04/08/2021 17:01 PM
City: Warrens, Wisconsin
Contract type: Part Time
Work schedule: Full Day
Part-time with benefits; 48 hours or more (if available and desired) hours per two week pay period, 12 hour shifts to include 6a to 6p and 6p to 6a; weekend, holiday and on call rotations required.
Provides direct nursing care to patients, families, groups and communities by instituting the Minimum Standards of Care (MSOC) and utilizing the Functional Health Patient Assessment to formulate a comprehensive plan of Nursing Care for infant through geriatric patients on the Medical/Surgical Unit.
MAJOR JOB FUNCTION:
1. Utilizes the nursing process as the basis for nursing care.
a. Plans and implements nursing care from admission to post-discharge.
b. Revises patient care plans to meet the changing needs of patients utilizing nursing assessment and diagnostic skills.
2. Provides direct patient care.
a. Provides patient care following physician orders and following a comprehensive plan of nursing care.
b. Establishes and prioritizes patient care needs.
c. Assesses the patient according to developed standards of care for each age group for which patient care is provided.
d. Performs technical nursing skills safely and in accordance with current policies and procedures.
e. Demonstrates the safe and effective use of medical and hospital equipment required for patient care.
f. Recognizes and interprets signs and symptoms, institutes nursing care required and appropriately reports patient’s condition to physician/provider.
g. Maintains current knowledge of medications, including intravenous therapy medications, blood and blood products.
h. Administers all medications according to medication safety policies and procedures.
i. Provides for Basic and/or Advanced Life Support as required by patient condition.
j. Interacts effectively with patients through both oral and written communication. Uses appropriate verbal and non-verbal behavior to reinforce the content of the message.
3. Documents and maintains data on the patient’s record.
a. Accurately completes documentation of observations and assessments correlating the comprehensive plan for nursing care and the medical plan of care.
b. Documents patient progress on the medical record and/or appropriate flow sheets following current policies and procedures.
c. Documents continuous patient assessment and nursing care planning.
4. Applies teaching and learning concepts to patient education.
a. Identifies discharge planning and teaching needs with appropriate interventions implemented and documented.
b. Completes the discharge teaching forms accurately at discharge.
c. Evaluates the effectiveness of the plan of care and the patient’s physical and emotional response to teaching and medical interventions.
d. Utilizes effective communication skills with the patients and families to establish mutual goals and to provide comprehensive teaching and care plans that promote effective coping behaviors.
5. Maintains safe and attractive environment using current hospital environmental policies and guidelines.
6. Performs all nursing functions by the application of professional nursing principles.
a. Collaborates with health team members in providing a comprehensive plan of care.
b. Accountable for clinical practice and leadership in practice.
c. Acts as a role model, resource, mentor and teacher.
d. Participates in continuing education to develop and maintain skills that contribute to departmental achievement and hospital mission and goals.
e. Acts as a patient advocate.
7. Cooperatively participates as a member of the Medical/Surgical nursing unit, nursing department and hospital team.
a. Participates as required to cover regular, vacation, holiday and on-call hours and adapts personal schedule to accommodate patient care needs.
b. Willingly identifies problems within the work environment and participates in the problem solving process.
c. Effectively adjusts to varying work demands where circumstances and priorities are changing.
d. Participates in floating to other nursing work environments.
e. Demonstrates the ability to evaluate suggestions and criticism objectively.
8. Performs activities related to the nursing role.
a. Participates in the orientation and education of others. Greets, encourages and accepts new personnel on the unit and in the hospital.
b. Provides for unit/hospital in-services or education programs.
c. Attends 50% of staff meetings. Reads and initials minutes of staff meetings when not in attendance.
d. Promotes, advocates and recommends changes in the patient care delivery system.
9. Demonstrates proficiency in regards to the computer documentation of patient cares and information/documentation.
10. Performs related work as required.
ADDITIONAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Behaves in a manner consistent with hospital customer service program.
a. Treats co-workers and customers as appropriate. Is courteous and helpful in all customer contacts.
2. Meets hospital and departmental dress code and hygiene guidelines.
a. Is familiar with dress code/uniform requirements for department.
b. Dresses consistently in the appropriate attire in respect to position at hospital.
3. Meets JOINT COMMISSIONand hospital educational standards as required.
4. Is present and prepared for work as scheduled.
5. Demonstrates creativity and initiative in job.
a. Contributes, develops, supports and/or carries out new ideas and methods in cooperation with co-workers and supervisors.
b. Is self-motivated.
6. Demonstrates support for and ability to work as part of a team on achieving departmental and organizational goals.
a. Develops positive working relationships, is receptive to and acts upon input from other team members and departments and is willing and able to compromise as needed.
7. Demonstrates organizational skills and effective use of time.
8. Communicates effectively.
a. Able to express ideas/opinions, uses appropriate congruent communications methods.
b. Deal with co-workers and customers openly and honestly.
c. Is receptive and attentive to communication/feedback from co-workers and customers.
9. Adheres to strict customer confidentiality standards, recognizing that even acknowledgment of privileged information is prohibited.
10. Supports and complies with the National Patient Safety Goals and quality improvement initiatives.
1. Graduation from an accredited school of nursing.
2. Current licensure to permit to practice as a registered nurse in the state of Wisconsin.
3. Current certification or eligibility to become BLS, ACLS and Neonatal certified.
1. Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
2. Excellent human relation skills as demonstrated by the ability to interface positively with all customers and employees.
3. Must acquire the knowledge and maintain established competency levels to perform essential professional nursing practice.
4. Must have proficient computer skills with the ability to operate within a Windows environment.
5. Must have the ability to work with frequent interruptions, under stress, with minimal supervision, and to exercise initiative and judgment in analyzing, organizing, planning, prioritizing, scheduling and coordinating work with others.
6. Needs to possess as high level of intelligence, integrity, sense of responsibility and ability to comprehend and analyze details.
7. Knowledge of theory, principles, techniques and practice of professional nursing; of scientific principles and nursing research; of preparation, administration, and actions of medications; of treatments and medical procedures; of counseling and teaching techniques; of medical equipment as it relates to patient care.
8. Ability to operate and handle many kinds of complex equipment.
9. Ability to demonstrate clinical competence and maintain current knowledge in caring for infant through geriatric patients.
1. Regularly required to use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, and talk and hear.
2. The Registered Nurse is frequently required to stand, walk and reach with hands and arms. The Registered Nurse is occasionally required to sit, climb or balance, stoop, kneel or crouch, and detect odors.
3. The Registered Nurse must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
4. Good hearing is necessary to receive detailed information through oral communication and to make fine discriminations in sound.
5. Visual acuity is needed to assess color changes, to verify accuracy of written materials.
6. Computer/keyboard skills required. Must have the ability to operate in a Windows environment.
Job Type: Part-time