Human Resources and Equity Manager - #197223
Keystone Science School
Date: 04/08/2021 16:30 PM
City: Keystone, Colorado
Salary: $70,000 / year
Contract type: Full Time
Work schedule: Full Day
Job Title: Human Resources and Equity Manager
Department: Finance and Administration
Employment Class: Full-Time, Regular
Pay Status: Exempt
Salary Range: $59,000 – $70,000 per year
Expected Hours: Minimum 40 hours/week
Dates of Employment/Start Date: ASAP, April/May 2021
Reports To: Director of Finance and Administration
Housing Available: No
At Keystone Science School, we believe that the power of inspiring curiosity and critical thinking, through the lens of science, changes lives and strengthens communities. We create future leaders who can problem solve and work together in an ever-evolving world and workplace environment.
Located in the Colorado Rocky Mountains, Keystone Science School’s historic campus serves as base camp for our diverse suite of inquiry-based learning programs. We combine hands-on science education with outdoor adventure to create engaging experiences for our students. At KSS, we change lives, we bring fun and laughter to everything we do, we care about each other and those we serve, we strive for excellence, we offer competitive compensation and generous benefits, and we are committed to serving students from diverse backgrounds. We’re proud to be Summit County’s #1 Best Non-Profit and #2 Best Place to Work (2019)! Visit KeystoneScienceSchool.org to learn more!
Program Overview and Job Summary:
The Human Resource (HR) and Equity Manager is responsible for performing HR-related duties on a professional level and works closely with the Recruitment Coordinator and Director of Finance and Admin in supporting various Human Resources functions. This position is responsible for developing and implementing solutions across a range of Human Resource functions including workforce planning, managing for performance, employee relations, organizational and staff development. This position ensures effective development of HR strategies, policies, and processes in partnership with the Director of Finance and Admin. The most successful candidate will be adept at managing high volumes of data confidentially and applying excellent interpersonal skills to a broad audience. Additionally, we are seeking a problem-solver and someone who approaches HR through a ‘can-do’ lens.
Three key strengths we seek in the ideal candidate are:
- Impeccable and efficient attention to detail;
- Exceptional communication (both written and verbal) and interpersonal skills;
- A strong understanding of Human Resources principles and practices.
Keystone Science School invites candidates to apply who are energetic, enthusiastic, smart, hard-working, self-directed, dedicated, and fun. Our tagline, Science. Adventure. Fun! summarizes what we seek in our employees: passionate about our work, willing to seek adventure and take risks to improve KSS, and able to laugh along the way. We work hard so we can play hard!
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Main areas of focus in this position are:
- 50% Employee Experience (recruiting, retaining, onboarding, training)
- 20% General HR Support
- 20% Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
- 10% Payroll Support
Employee Management (Recruitment, Retention, Onboarding, Training)
- Develop and implement a comprehensive onboarding process;
- Providing IT oversight for onboarding and offboarding;
- Maintain employee records electronically and in accordance with applicable laws;
- Train management on all HR related topics (Interviewing, hiring, reviews, etc.);
- Develop and implement an employee training program for all staff regarding HR policies and procedures.
- Review and approve job descriptions for all KSS positions;
- Develop and implement annual performance review plans and policies;
- Develop and implement a comprehensive a PD plan for all employees;
- Analyze employee turnover rates and develop and implement strategies for employee retention;
- Develop interview question bank and training for hiring managers and provide HR oversight for interview documents and professional references;
- Submit and review background checks for all Board members (new and annually) as well as all existing staff members (annually);
- Manage computer and other tech (keyboards, etc.) inventory to ensure employees have appropriate resources when needed;
- Support staff understanding and use of cloud platforms - Google and Sharepoint - via onboarding and ongoing training;
- Submit and manage recruiting budget;
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
- Lead the DEI Task Force at KSS and develop a comprehensive plan for the work;
- Ensure staff and board are engaged in DEI work and planning via trainings, presentations, and meetings;
- Incorporate DEI best practices into employee recruitment, training, and ongoing management;
- Remain appraised of the protocols and practices of DEI to inform KSS of revisions, additions, and implementation needed to be an organization that is focused on diversity, equity and inclusion at all levels.
- Gather, manage, and record new hire information and employment documentation for entry to the payroll system and electronic personnel file;
- Manage timekeeping system for accurate time tracking and leave time coding.
- Reconcile time off for all employees between timekeeping system and payroll system.
General Human Resources Support
- Oversee and continually manage employee perks and discounts;
- Develop and implement staff appreciation events and efforts;
- Understand and communicate federal/state HR legal policies to staff and board when needed;
- Advise management on resolving employee complaints and issues;
- Support health and welfare, workers' compensation, and unemployment programs in partnership with Director of Finance and Admin;
- Manage employee communications specific to HR issues;
- Work closely and transparently with all third party vendors and consultants related to HR/admin;
- Update Employee Handbook annually and present to board for approval;
- Complete and submit annual Tax Return (990) PBC items as related to HR in partnership with the Director of Finance and Admin;
- Ensure employee computer access and manage all KSS computer systems in partnership with third-party consultant;
- Manage IT consultant and review Help Desk tickets to alleviate need for external support;
- Support special projects and other duties as necessary.
The minimum requirements in knowledge, skills, and abilities for the candidate of our choice:
- An attention to detail specific to writing reports, professional correspondence, and procedure manuals as well as managing payroll data to ensure employees are paid accordingly and timely;
- A strong work ethic and will work until the job is complete;
- The motivation to contribute positively to the KSS at-large community;
- The ability to multi-task efficiently while managing a high-volume workload in a fast-paced, changing environment;
- Strong communication skills in both writing and organization;
- The ability to effectively interact with people of diverse backgrounds and different levels of experience;
- The ability and desire to work in a busy environment with many distractions;
- A level of professionalism to maintain the integrity of confidential information included in hiring processes, payroll, and other human resources-related issues or projects.
In addition to the above required talents, our ideal candidate will have these preferred skillsets:
- Computer skills include proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, etc.), HRIS systems, and QuickBooks;
- Comprehension of the Spanish language via written and/or verbal form.
No travel requirements.
Housing is not offered for this position.
Our required education, experience, and certifications:
- Bachelor's degree in human resources or related business field (BA or BS) from a four-year college or university preferred or equivalent experience of 5 years in Human Resources management;
- Proven understanding of DEI work at an organizational level (proof of trainings or certificates in DEI preferred);
- Current First Aid and CPR certification or ability to obtain within 60 days of employment;
- Excellent driving record and a valid driver’s license.
The physical demands of this position:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands and fingers to feel, handle, or hold objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; and talk and hear.
Our work environment:
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This position requires the employee to work in close contact with their teammates and children. Staff will be expected to adhere to dynamic health guidance and policy set forth by KSS while working with children during a global pandemic. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate but varies seasonally due to programs and staffing on campus. While performing the duties of this job, the employee often works outside and drives vehicles in various weather conditions.
Salary range is $59,000 - $70,000 per year depending on experience, plus a generous benefits package including:
- 75% employer-paid medical and dental premiums for the employee and dependents;
- 100% employer-paid short- and long-term disability, $50,000 life insurance policy with matching AD&D benefit;
- Up to 120 paid PTO hours, 96 paid sick hours, and 80 paid holiday hours, pro-rated based on hours worked;
- 401K retirement savings plan with a 3% employer match contribution;
- Discounts for family members on KSS programs, plus access to outdoor industry pro deals and a discounted ski pass.
Ready to find yourself at the heart of Science. Adventure. Fun? Apply now!
Equal Employment Opportunity
Keystone Science School is committed to building a diverse, equitable, and inclusive community, and we seek to recruit, develop, and retain the most talented people from a wide variety of backgrounds. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type, without regard to race, color, national or ethnic origin, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, pregnancy, age, religion, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.