Director, Finance & Treasury - #197141
Alliant Credit Union
Date: 04/08/2021 15:02 PM
City: Rolling Meadows, Illinois
Contract type: Full Time
Work schedule: Full Day
What will your day look like?
You will be responsible for managing, evaluating and monitoring the credit union’s investment portfolios totaling over $4 billion. In addition, the incumbent manages a large short-term investment strategy that requires finding and negotiating favorable borrowing arrangements. Responsibilities require deep understanding and ability to analyze investment opportunities incorporating each securities unique characteristics to understand the impact to the portfolio and the enterprise balance sheet regarding interest rate risk, liquidity risk, credit risk, prepayment risk and extension risk to ensure the portfolio lies on the efficient frontier to optimize risk adjusted return. Robust communication skills are required to collaborate and explain complex market issues and events to enterprise leaders including but not limited to Board members. Responsibilities require significant portfolio management experience, outstanding critical thought process, calm demeanor in high pressure situations, extensive understanding of Federal and State Investment Regulations, and knowledge of guidelines set forth in the credit union’s Investment and ALM policies. General direction is received from the VP of Finance & Treasury
Do you see yourself doing this?
- Manage the credit union’s investment portfolio with the goal of optimizing the balance between liquidity and income on a total return basis while maintaining acceptable levels of risk
- Evaluate and balance portfolio composition driven by the current and expected economic environment along with liquidity and return requirements of the credit union
- Research new investment opportunities within and outside the investment portfolio
- Continually monitor dealer inventories for investment opportunities in approved sectors
- Monitor regulatory and accounting issues that pertain to the institution and the investment of credit union funds, and ensure that the investment portfolio is in compliance with all regulatory guidelines
- Monitor credit risk inherent in corporate holdings
- Optimizes cash levels to ensure adequate liquidity while improving risk adjusted returns
- Manage a short-term investment program that generates incremental income for the credit union without exposing it to undue credit or interest rate risk, all within a framework that is consistent with maintaining favorable financial ratios for the credit union
- Provide training and guidance to the Treasury team
- Monitor the month end analyses performed by the Treasury team and utilizes output from those analyses in creating the monthly investment report for the board packet
- Provide input and support to the Asset/Liability management of the institution
- Assist in the creation and presentation of materials to the ALCO
- Collaborate with enterprise leaders to assist in multiple stages of the capital planning process
- Collaborate with ALM team and enterprise leaders to optimize investment portfolio composition while adhering to interest rate risk and liquidity risk guidelines agreed upon by ALCO and the Board
Leadership and Performance Management
- Deliver superior results through quality execution and best practice adaptation
- Demonstrate courage, ability and agility to understand and address organizational transition in real-time; establish expectations for the unexpected
- Translate strategic and operating plans into meaningful direction of projects, goals, priorities and activities
- Capture, analyze, and understand the internal environment, team dynamics, and talent capabilities to address organizational refinement, agility and growth
- Champion Employee/Internal Customer Engagement, employee development and all cultural hallmarks through a strong leadership signature and a growing command of Alliant’s leadership competencies
- Continually assess and provide discerning development, insightful coaching and talent utilization/optimization for direct reports
- Apply High Performance Management practices in leading an engaged workforce in order to effectively leverage the full potential and talent of this function
- Provide a structural and consistent approach to ensure that individual development plans are in place, performance management is consistent, performance management process is respected and followed, and coaching and feedback are provided on a regular and dynamic basis.
- Work with your direct reports and help seek out growth opportunities for your reports; continually challenge reports to maximize their engagement and productivity
- Help propagate messaging across the organization that fosters a broader knowledge of Finance & Treasury, promotes collaboration and influences constructive and positive change
What makes you a great fit?
You’ll be a great fit if in addition to the Completion of a Master’s Degree in Finance, Economics, Statistics or Accounting, or full designation as a Chartered Financial Analyst, required, and you have:
10+ years portfolio management experience in fixed income management, or an equivalent combination of training and experience
- Familiarity with Investment Accounting is required
- Strong understanding of economics, interest rate cycles, and the fixed income market with an emphasis on mortgage backed securities is essential
- Must have a solid understanding of asset / liability management
- Ability to utilize and leverage Yield Book to provide performance analytics to enterprise leaders, ALCO and the Board
- Strong working knowledge of MS Excel and PowerPoint to create metrics providing transparency and key drivers of portfolio performance
When you’re happy, we’re happy!
As a thank you for joining our team, you’ll benefit from:
Competitive medical, dental, and free vision benefits
- Competitive compensation plan
- Contributions towards gym memberships
- Generous PTO and banking holidays off
Still not convinced?
We’re on the list of 100 Best Medium Companies to work for, check it out here. For more details you can also visit our Glassdoor and LinkedIn profiles.