Retail Assistant Agronomy Manager - #197021
Southern States Cooperative, Inc.
Date: 04/08/2021 13:31 PM
City: Richmond, Kentucky
Contract type: Full Time
Work schedule: Full Day
Supports the Retail Store Manager with overseeing daily operations of a Southern States Cooperative, Inc. (SSC) local farm supply, member co-op, petroleum or retail facility. Plans and directs sales, merchandising, inventory management, production, facility maintenance, and/or business office functions. Relies on retail operations experience and knowledge of industry best-practices to accomplish goals. A wide degree of creativity and latitude is required. Requires experience working with bulk propane and bulk fertilizer and feed.
Essential Job Functions
Essential Job Functions may vary due to differences in merchandise mix, customer base, and business volume across SSC locations.
- Coordinate with the Retail Store Manager to execute a strategic retail operations plan that aligns customer service, sales and volume building, merchandising, inventory management, budgeting and expense control with SSC business and financial goals. Utilize standard operating procedures (SOP) designed to maximize efficiencies while complying with SSC policy and government regulations.
- Manage daily operations for multiple departments within the facility. Support front-end/point-of-sale and handle escalated customer inquiries. Manage showroom merchandising. Ensure optimum inventory levels for merchandise and supplies. Oversee warehouse operations including receiving, inventory integrity, and customer deliveries. Lead daily housekeeping duties to ensure a safe, clean and welcoming environment.
- Develop a highly effective team. Coach facility team members to drive sales by providing excellent customer service. Implement strategies for achieving sales and/or production goals. Track metrics and regularly update progress. Remove obstacles to efficient performance. Create staff schedules and distribute work assignments to maximize customer service and fulfill business goals. Lead daily team meetings to communicate essential information, modify plans, recognize achievements, and foster a positive and supportive environment.
- Engage regularly with customers to make sales and take orders for services, both in-store and by visiting customer farming and production sites. Promote the SSC brand and business philosophy in a positive and customer-focused manner throughout the local community and sales region. Maintain open lines of communication with local civic leaders, patrons, and board.
- Coordinate with Retail Store Manager and division leadership to execute a staffing plan designed to meet seasonal volume adjustments and budget requirements. Oversee the hiring process for various facility positions. In collaboration with Retail Store Manager, conduct performance reviews and administer corrective action.
- Depending upon product mix, research and assess regional merchandising techniques, pricing trends and/or fluctuation in commodities markets. Gather data through observations of competitors and/or market performance. Collaborate with corporate and regional counterparts to ensure proper pricing to optimize inventory supply and profits.
- Administer vehicle and equipment maintenance programs, dispatch routes, degree-day systems for fuels, and use of loaned equipment. Order tools and parts for equipment repair. Perform physical inspection, including climbing, crawling, and maneuvering on and around equipment.
- May oversee various business office functions, including: accounting, payroll, returns processing, customer/vendor relations, AR/AP, credits, or other transactions. Monitor expenditures and control costs to meet financial objectives. Ensure compliance with SSC policies and government regulations.
- Maintain awareness of industry trends, developments, regulations, and updates to SSC products and services. Utilize a variety of resources, including: professional organizations, seminars, conferences, training courses, self-study, and on-line tools.
- Safeguard facility assets. Maintain an inventory control program to ensure inventory integrity and minimize shrink of merchandise. Monitor a facility security program to protect inventory, equipment, facility and staff in accordance with SSC policy.
- Maintain a clean, safe facility to meet OSHA and EPA regulations, Southern States Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) standards, and all applicable policies and work rules. Lead safety initiatives and monitor employees for safe performance. Perform work safely as to not cause harm to yourself, customers, co-workers, equipment, or inventory. Utilize Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) as required. Maintain current Emergency Response Planning records.
- Assume additional functions of the Retail Store Manager during his/her absence.
- Perform all other job functions as assigned.
A combination of completed coursework and relevant experience may be considered in lieu of degree.
Education: Bachelor's Degree, will also consider an Associate's Degree from select programs with specialization in agronomy, plant science, animal science, business management, or a related field of study.
Experience: Requires a minimum of three (3) years of related experience in agribusiness, plant science, petroleum, livestock / pet care, or related industry. Requires a minimum of one (1) year in a leadership role. Prefer previous experience managing daily business operations. Previous Southern States work experience strongly preferred.
Licensing & Certification: Requires valid Driver's License
Depending upon location, may also require:
- Forklift Certification (or ability to obtain)
- CDL / hazmat endorsement (or ability to obtain)
- Petroleum and/or Propane Certification (or ability to obtain)
- Demonstrate a commitment to SSC mission, vision and values
- Able to effectively apply knowledge of daily operations to drive sales volume, minimize expenses, and effectively establish polices and operating procedures to support business goals
- Able to effectively apply knowledge of regulations governing storage, distribution and sales of manufactured goods, agricultural products, petroleum, propane, and/or related merchandise
- Able to learn and apply strategic planning for facility sales and operations
- Able to perform data analysis and utilize results to optimize performance and increase profitability
- Able to administer budgets, monitor and track expenses
- Able to utilize creative thinking and problem solving skills to develop solutions
- Able to communicate clearly and effectively with customers, staff, management, and external counterparts
- Able to consistently demonstrate customer-focused interpersonal skills and professional communication
- Able to consistently display servant leadership, build and motivate teams, and delegate responsibilities
- Able to maintain composure while managing conflict and stressful situations
- Attention to detail, accuracy and accountability
- Computer literacy to utilize MS Office products and SSC business systems
- Able to work in a fast paced, customer focused, team environment
- Able to speak, read, write the English language in a proficient manner
- Able to work extended hours to meet business demands
- Able to travel 10-20% of time, will vary based on location
- Further progression in the management job group frequently requires relocation
The work environment will vary based on location. Essential job functions are performed indoors in a climate controlled environment, in a warehouse environment subject to seasonal temperatures and humidity, and outdoors unprotected from weather conditions.
Regularly exposed to hazards including:
- Merchandise, supplies and tools with sharp edges or containing hazardous materials
- Dust, odors, fumes and hazardous chemicals associated with sales and storage of various fuels, dry and liquid fertilizers, crop protectants and other agricultural, residential, animal care and home care products
- Moving mechanical parts and vehicles, vibrations and electric current
- Draughts, temperature changes and wet floors due to facility doors opening during adverse weather
- Noise levels where hearing protection is optional per PPE Plan
Schedule requirements will vary based on location. Extended hours and/or alternate work schedules may be required. Ability to report to work on time and in adverse weather conditions is required.
Physical Activities & Requirements
Physical activities and requirements will vary based on location and merchandise mix. Below is a general description.
- Continuously bend and stoop; finger, handle and utilize repetitive hand motion with merchandise and tools including computers and motorized vehicles; reach with arms and hands for extended periods; stand and walk for extended periods, at times may be on concrete or uneven surfaces; utilize eye/hand coordination; twist back and neck. Pull, push, lift, carry up to 50 pounds.
- Frequently climb, crouch, stack, and sweep. Pull, push, lift, carry 50-80 pounds, may be assisted.
- Occasionally balance, kneel, shovel and sit. Pull, push, lift, carry 80-100 pounds, may be assisted.
Must be able to speak to co-workers and customers regarding sales, operations and safety. Must be able to hear customer service phone calls, hand held radio, equipment and vehicle sounds. Specific vision abilities required by this position include: close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
Tools & Equipment
Tools and equipment will vary based on location and merchandise mix. Below is a general description.
Hand held scanner, telephone, hand held radio, computer, printer, scanner, copier, fax machine, writing instrument, reports, logs, spreadsheets, merchandising diagrams (planograms), point-of-sale terminal, petroleum and/or propane equipment and terminals, fertilizer and crop protectant blenders and spreaders, loaders, forklifts, pick-ups, delivery trucks, and other tools and equipment.
Southern States Cooperative, Inc., is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate against individuals based on their race, color, religion or belief, national or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, family medical history or genetic information, or any other status protected by federal, state or local laws, or regulations.