Business Operations Manager - #196991
Montana State University
Date: 04/08/2021 13:03 PM
City: Bozeman, Montana
Salary: $17 - $18 / hour
Contract type: Full Time
Work schedule: Full Day
The mission of the Psychology Department contains five elements summarized as 1) support faculty and student discovery of new knowledge, 2) integrate teaching and research in a collaborative manner, 3) educate majors in psychological knowledge, 4) educate non-majors through core classes, and 5) serve Montanans through sharing our expertise and collaborations on and off campus. The department offers a B.S. with Applied and Psychological Science options and a Ph.D. in Psychological Science and has 18 faculty members, one operations manager, one academic services coordinator and more than 400 students.
The Business Operations Manager provides high level of administrative and management support to the operation of various departments within the College of Letters and Science. This includes serving as the executive assistant for the Department Head; providing fiscal oversight and budget management for all departmental funds, including monitoring expenditures, managing Pcard activity, performing analyses, providing budget projections, and reallocation of resources when necessary; coordinating events, supervising other staff in the office; and administering the day-to-day operations of the department.
Duties and Responsibilities
Executive assistant to the Department Head
- Works closely with the Department Head to facilitate overall operations.
- Provides departmental and program data and implements decisions.
- Researches and prepares data on budgetary and academic issues, such as course offerings, enrollments, and course loads to provide supporting documentation to manage curricula.
- Budgets and oversees the state index including main salaries and operations.
- Prepares budgets for graduate student programs, graders, and all events, including conferences and/or student field trips.
- Serves as account manager for purchasing card transactions, including monthly report compilation.
- Processes faculty travel and student scholarships.
- Serves as departmental liaison with Fiscal Shared Services for the centralized accounting services.
Conference and Event Organizer
- Makes arrangements for events, conferences, and lectures, including securing facilities, preparing schedules, promoting events, and, where appropriate, arranging for food, lodging, and transportation. This may include participating in events as on-site staff.
- Serves as the first contact person for hiring and payroll issues.
- Creates and processes various types of appointments, for faculty (tenure track and non-tenure track), staff, graduate and undergraduate students.
- Processes tax forms and all required new employee forms, conducts pre-payroll audits, reconciles payroll, submits EPAF’s, and approves timesheets.
- Oversees the daily functions, workloads, and services of the department.
- Provides support for curriculum assessment activities, and for Promotion and Tenure processes.
- Oversees department property management for departmental offices, common space, classrooms, conference room, and research lab property issues for 9 TT faculty and 9 NTT faculty covering all of the 3rd and 4th floors of Traphagen Hall and some space in AJM Johnson Hall, including: E-scrap inventory and arrangement of disposal; sensitive and minor inventory tracking; classroom and common space design, material purchase, and implementation; disposal of surplus property; working with multiple on-campus and off-campus offices and multiple funding sources during management of these duties.
- Supervises the Administrative Associate III position and student employees.
Required Qualifications – Experience, Education, Knowledge & Skills
- A Bachelor’s Degree or progressively responsible administrative/office management experience with an emphasis on fiscal or operations management, or an equivalent combination of relevant education and experience.
- Demonstrated competence managing fiscal and budget records, generating multiple reports and communicating complex information effectively to various constituents (student, staff, faculty, executives).
- Demonstrated competence organizing and managing events.
- Demonstrated excellent customer service skills.
- Demonstrated competence using personal computers and various software such as word processing, spreadsheets, database, presentation, email and internet. Microsoft Office software preferred.
Preferred Qualifications – Experience, Education, Knowledge & Skills
- Knowledge of MSU procedures and policies or previous experience working in an academic department in a higher education setting.
- Progressively responsible supervisory or management experience.
The Successful Candidate Will
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with various constituencies, including students, administrators, co-workers, and faculty.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Attention to detail, to meeting deadlines, and to prioritizing competing demands.
- Aptitude for problem solving and facilitating the work of others.
- Good judgment and self-motivation.
- Skill at prioritizing, organizing, and working on multiple projects.
- Demonstrated capacity for leadership.
- Successful experience hiring, training, supervising and mentoring employees.
- Represent the Psychology Department, College of Letters and Science and MSU to others in a professional and courteous manner.
Position Special Requirements/Additional Information
This job description should not be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements, but a general description of the job. Nothing contained herein restricts Montana State University’s rights to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily with or without reasonable accommodations. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
This position has supervisory duties? Yes
Number of Vacancies 1
Desired Start Date Upon Completion of a Successful Search
Position End Date (if temporary)
Applications will be:
Screening of applications will begin on April 19, 2021 however, applications will continue to be accepted until an adequate applicant pool has been established.
Montana State University values diverse perspectives and is committed to continually supporting, promoting and building an inclusive and culturally diverse campus environment. MSU recognizes the importance of work-life integration and strives to be responsive to the needs of dual career couples.
Montana State University is committed to providing a working and learning environment free from discrimination. As such, the University does not discriminate in the admission, access to or conduct of its educational programs and activities nor in its employment policies and practices on the basis of an individual’s race, color, religion, national origin, creed, service in the uniformed services (as defined in state and federal law), veteran’s status, sex, age, political ideas, marital or family status, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, genetic information, gender identity, gender expression, or sexual orientation. In support of the University’s mission to be inclusive and diverse, applications from qualified minorities, women, veterans and persons with disabilities are highly encouraged.
Montana State University makes accommodation for any known disability that may interfere with an applicant’s ability to compete in the hiring process or an employee’s ability to perform the duties of the job. To request an accommodation, contact the Human Resources Office, PO Box 172520, Montana State University, Bozeman MT 59717-2520; 406-994-3651; email@example.com .
In compliance with the Montana Veteran’s Employment Preference Act, MSU provides preference in employment to veterans, disabled veterans, and certain eligible relatives of veterans. To claim veteran’s preference please complete the veteran’s preference information located in the Demographics section of your profile
MSU’s Non-Discrimination Policy and Discrimination Grievance Procedures can be located on the MSU Website: http://www.montana.edu/hr/disability_accommodation/complaints_grievances.html .