Senior Commercial Underwriter - #192906
Date: 04/05/2021 23:00 PM
City: Portland, Oregon
Contract type: Full Time
Work schedule: Full Day
Underwrites new and renewal C&I and CRE credit requests comprised of working capital lines of credit, asset-based lines of credit, commercial real estate loans (Owner Occupied and Investor) and equipment financing; most often from moderate-to-complex enterprises with revenues greater than $5 million. Collaborates with Client Solutions Managers ("CSMs") and Relationship Managers to accurately present findings, including business rationale and risk mitigations, in order to obtain credit approval and meet customer needs.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Analyze business, industry, financial data and other supporting credit information concerning an applicant's credit request; identifies key business and financial risks that may impact the repayment prospects by the borrower; derives conclusions supporting the credit recommendation based on documented facts and/or sound judgement.
- Prepare timely, concise and accurate credit recommendations, with limited supervision or revision. Includes: (1) quantitative components within the underwriting narrative documenting the credit analysis; (2) accurate use of risk rating scoring models (aka Dual Risk Rating), both quantitative and qualitative rating elements, to ensure customers and loans are properly risk-rated; (3) accurate identification and mitigation of all exceptions to Bank tracked policies exceptions (TPE), tracked guidelines exceptions (TGE), procedures and compliance regulations; and (4) accurate loan coding consistent with nature of the borrowing relationship and terms of the credit(s).
- Monitor borrower financial performance in line with commercial and/or real estate loan documents; spreads financial statement and/or ensures required financial statements are spread in accordance with Bank Guidelines and resulting covenant calculations are accurate, complete and adhere to approval conditions and loan documentation. Collaborates with CSM to ensure borrower notifications are sent and approvals are obtained to resolve any violations in a timely manner.
- Partners with CSMs and Relationship Managers to offer insights into customer financial needs, including opportunities identified using Line of Business-approved relationship expansion tools. May also offer opinions related to a loan structure's effectiveness to mitigate risks, appropriate to prevailing competitive market environment and Bank risk tolerances.
- Partners with CSMs and Relationship Managers in customer and prospect calls as appropriate. May shadow manage a portfolio with CSM as part of training and development, with Underwriting Manager and Market Director mutual approval.
- May oversee the work of other commercial underwriters or credit analysts, including the timely review of credit reports prepared by other underwriters to ensure a high level of report quality prior to submission for approval; findings to be captured via a standardized Quality Control (QC) Checklist and used to provide guidance and training to underwriters.
- Demonstrates compliance with all bank regulations for assigned job function and applies to designated job responsibilities -- knowledge may be gained through coursework and on-the-job training. Keeps up to date on regulation changes.
- Follows all Bank policies and procedures, compliance regulations, and completes all required annual or job-specific training.
- Maintain a working knowledge of Bank's written policies and procedures regarding Bank Secrecy Act, Regulation CC, Regulation E, Bank Security and other regulations as applicable to this job description.
- May be asked to coach, mentor, or train others and teach coursework as subject matter expert.
- Actively learns, demonstrates, and fosters the Umpqua corporate culture in all actions and words.
- Takes personal initiative and is a positive example for others to emulate.
- Embraces our vision to become "The World's Greatest Bank."
- May perform other duties as assigned.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: None
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Bachelor's degree in Business, Finance, Accounting, or equivalent work experience.
- 6+ years of commercial underwriting/credit analysis experience or relevant lending experience.
- Advanced analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Advanced credit and credit quality skills including accounting, financial statement spreading, and cash flow analysis experience; ability to train and present to small and large audiences or has the interest in learning to train and present.
- Demonstrated time management skills, reflecting the ability to juggle multiple tasks simultaneously while delivering work product on time.
- Ability to work effectively with individuals and groups across the company to manage internal and external customer relationships.
- Possess excellent written, verbal, interpersonal and presentation skills, including ability to train and present to small and large audiences or has the interest in learning to train and present.
- Advanced knowledge of credit policies, procedures, practices and documentation.
PHYSICAL AND ENVIRONMENTAL DEMANDS
- Work involves sitting, occasional walking, and lifting up to 10 pounds.
- Requires close visual acuity.
- Normal office environment.
- Occasional travel.
Umpqua Bank is committed to employing a diverse workforce. Qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, protected veteran status, or disability. We maintain a drug-free workplace and may perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.
This job is expired. Please use the search form to find active jobs or submit your resume.