Natural Resources Field Lead - #156993
Date: 02/24/2021 01:30 AM
City: Sheridan, Wyoming
Contract type: Full Time
Work schedule: Full Day
About the opportunity
SWCA Environmental Consultants (SWCA) is seeking to fill a Natural Resources Field Lead position for our Sheridan, Wyoming office. Our Sheridan office offers a unique work environment and specializes in providing environmental survey and permitting to federal, state, local, and private entities. The preferred work location for this position is at the Sheridan office; however, working remotely from a location within the region may be negotiable for the right candidate. This is a temporary/seasonal, full-time position.
The Natural Resource Field Lead position requires an educational and experience background in biology, wildlife, range science, natural resource management, botany, or a related field. This exciting position will be a mix of field and office work, depending on project type and season, however it is primarily a field work position.
The successful candidate will be involved in a variety of biological studies, with particular emphasis on vegetation inventories and reclamation monitoring. Experience with wildlife habitat assessments, wetland delineation, and/or vegetation identification is required.
The primarily field-based work takes place in an outdoor environment, often remote, where the climate, weather and terrain can be demanding. The position may involve an irregular schedule and extended hours. It is anticipated that moderate travel, including overnight stays, will be required for the position. Field work will be primarily in Wyoming but may include travel to and work within other surrounding states. Some reporting and other office tasks will require working on a computer for short periods of time.
What you will accomplish
Lead field crews, as applicable, and provide guidance on safety, sampling protocols, and field data management
Coordinate with project managers and senior natural resource lead;
Conduct field work, including vegetation, soil, and habitat transect sampling with high data collection accuracy;
- Organize equipment and logistical arrangements for field sessions;
- Assist project managers in data management, QA/QC, analysis and survey/resource report preparation
- Use topographic maps, aerial photographs, GPS units, and other maps and scientific tools and equipment under arduous field conditions;
- Follow company and client safety protocols and maintain safe working environment.
Operate SWCA vehicles and ensure that they will perform safely
- Ability to drive a 4-wheel drive vehicle on rugged, backcountry roads
Experience and qualifications for success
- Minimum of a Bachelor's degree in Wildlife, Botany, Range Science, Biology, Ecology, Environmental Science, Natural Resource Management, or a related field, required; Master's degree, preferred;
- Minimum of 2 years of experience conducting natural resources field work, required;
- Experience in vegetation, wildlife, and wetland surveys. Preferable with emphasis in the Great Plains or Midwest;
- Coursework or knowledge of species taxonomy and field identification of birds, mammals, and other wildlife and vegetation;
- Knowledge of survey and monitoring techniques and ability to learn new protocols;
- GPS and digital data collection experience preferred;
- Trailer and ATV/UTV experience preferred;
- Ability to travel to a location, walk and conduct fieldwork for long hours, sometimes in inclement weather, rugged terrain, often at high altitudes, and ability to carry equipment and supplies weighing up to 40 pounds is required;
- Valid driver's license and the ability to drive a 4WD vehicle on backcountry roads required; and
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and attention to detail.
SWCA Environmental Consultants is a growing employee-owned firm, providing a full spectrum of environmental services. With offices across the United States, SWCA is one of the largest environmental compliance firms and ranks among Engineering News-Record's Top 200 Environmental Firms.
If you would like to contact SWCA regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the online application process due to a disability, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 800-828-8517. This contact information is for disability accommodation requests only. All other inquiries will not receive a response.
EOE - women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply.