Teacher Assistant - #156954
Date: 02/24/2021 01:00 AM
City: Unicoi, Tennessee
Contract type: Full Time
Work schedule: Full Day
Telamon is an eleven-state, non-profit corporation headquartered in Raleigh, North Carolina serving communities for 55 years. Telamon's mission is to provide educational services that lead to better jobs, better lives, and better communities. Telamon provides programs and services in three areas, Early Childhood and Family Support, Workforce Career Services, and Housing & Financial Empowerment.
Assist in the instruction of preschool-aged children in activities designed to promote social-emotional, physical, and cognitive growth.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. With the Teacher, guides and facilitates activities of the children including classroom projects and field trips.
2. Selects and sets up equipment and materials in the classroom.
3. Provides a safe and healthy developmentally appropriate learning environment. Interacts with children one-on-one and in small groups.
4. Protects the safety of children by implementing active supervision techniques to ensure no child is left alone or unsupervised at any time.
5. Assists in the development of weekly activity plans and program activities.
6. Uses creativity to provide healthy and safe activities that are developmentally and age appropriate.
7. Assists the Teacher in record keeping. Conducts and documents observations, assessments and screenings.
8. Composes and proofreads correspondence and reports.
9. Participates in parent conferences to discuss the child's individual development and progress.
10. Eats with and assists children in eating to teach social and self-help skills and sound nutritional practices.
11. Assist children in health and personal habits, such as eating, resting, brushing teeth, and toilet habits.
12. Serves as a liaison between staff and parents. Engagesparents in the education of their children including encouraging classroom involvement and home activities.
13. Maintains confidentiality regarding students.
14. May prepare meals and perform Bus Monitor duties.
15. Assist in the mobilization and documentation of matching-in-kind funds.
16. Fills in on a temporary basis when a staff member needs to leave the classroom for a short duration.
17. Participates in staff meetings, committees and training sessions.
18. Works in cooperation with supervisor to develop and document progress on professional development plan. Actively engages in professional development activities to increase qualifications in accordance with Corporation’s Core Values.
19. Work may require the flexibility to stay until all children have left the program.
20. Keeps classroom clean and organized.
21. May translate.
22. Perform all other duties as assigned by supervisor.
This position has no direct supervisory duties but is expected to train or explain work procedures to others.
Education and Experience Requirements
Grade 7 
•High school or GED.
•If no pre-school CDA credential, must enroll in a pre-school CDA credential program upon hire to be completed within 2 years of hire.
•Hold a pre-school CDA credential or state-awarded certificate that meets/exceeds the requirements for a pre-school CDA credential.
•Enrolled in program that will lead to an associate or baccalaureate degree in ECE or related field to be completed within 2 years of hire.
•At least 2 years of experience working with preschool children preferred.
Grade 11 
•Associate's degree in child development, early childhood education or related field.*
Grade 15 
•Bachelor's degree in child development, early childhood education or related field.
All grades require completion of CPR/First Aid within a month of hire.
All grades must have a willingness to work towards any additional credentials needed to move to the next level in the position, this may include continued education. State requirements may vary, individual must meet requirements for state in which they are employed.
* Degree in a related field is defined as an associate, baccalaureate, or advanced degree in a field other than child development or early childhood education that either includes or is supplemented by twelve (12) college credits in child development, early childhood, or equivalent coursework focusing on children birth to age five. At least 3 of those credits must be in a preschool focused foundations course in child development.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
•Work is performed mostly inside the facility.
•Sitting, walking, stooping, squatting, lifting (up to 30 lbs), carrying, pushing and climbing.
•Riding in a bus for prolong periods of time with noise and vibration.
•Moving through the Center and classrooms. Ability to respond to quickly changing situations in a safe manner.
•Frequent exposure to adverse weather conditions.
•Exposure to blood, other bodily fluids, cleaning chemicals and dirt.
•Must have a willingness to work towards any additional credentials needed to move to the next level in the position, this may include continued education.
•Regular attendance for this position is required, as regular attendance ensures we are providing the services we have committed to provide to the children and families we serve.
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.