Case Manager Social Worker - Marianjoy, As Needed, Days - #156924
Northwestern Memorial Healthcare
Date: 02/24/2021 00:30 AM
City: Wheaton, Illinois
Contract type: Part Time
Work schedule: Full Day
At Northwestern Medicine, every patient interaction makes a difference in cultivating a positive workplace. This patient-first approach is what sets us apart as a leader in the healthcare industry. As an integral part of our team, you'll have the opportunity to join our quest for better healthcare, no matter where you work within the Northwestern Medicine system. At Northwestern Medicine, we pride ourselves on providing competitive benefits: from tuition reimbursement and loan forgiveness to 401(k) matching and lifecycle benefits, we take care of our employees. Ready to join our quest for better?
The Case Manager – MJ Social Worker reflects the mission, vision, and values of NM, adheres to the organization’s Code of Ethics and Corporate Compliance Program, and complies with all relevant policies, procedures, guidelines and all other regulatory and accreditation standards.
- Serves as primary liaison between the interdisciplinary team and the patient/caregiver, educates patient/caregiver on the continuum of care and facilitates discharge coordination.
- Follows the patients from admission to discharge.
- Communicates to external payers on behalf of the patient.
- Acts in partnership with the attending physician to closely monitor utilization and LOS.
- Works with the patient/caregiver to plan and facilitate a timely and appropriate discharge plan.
- Handles caseload of patients as determined by manager
- Forwards assessments and clinical data to payers and external providers to facilitate transitions and payment
- Communicates team conference and POC recommendations to patient and family and to third parties as indicated
- Assists with facilitation of team conference to ensure that patient continues to meet LOC criteria and is progressing toward discharge goals in conjunction with interdisciplinary team.
- Works with interdisciplinary team on ensuring procurement of discharge needs for patient in terms of DME, clinical services and ongoing care to support a safe transition to an appropriate LOC
- Facilitates family training as needed in order to support a safe transition to the next LOC
- Assesses need for and provides referrals to community resources to support the patient safely in the community setting
- Coordinates with patient/financial services and admissions to ensure smooth transitions between levels of care and manage concurrent denials
- Provides ongoing education to interdisciplinary team on patient’s insurance benefits and status of LOS approval
- Requests authorization for continued stay from payers as recommended by interdisciplinary team through concurrent review process. Coordinates appeals on any concurrent denials of requests for continued stay.
- Reviews patients progress and medical necessity for continued stay against protocol and benchmarks and communicates with attending physician and team
- Monitors and communicates resource utilization with attending physician
- Identifies variances from established benchmarks on cost/outcome/LOS and notify physician and team
- Obtains authorization as required from payer for any special services or procedures
- Case Managers in pediatrics assist with managing referrals for IRF and outpatient services as well as assists with referral development objectives
- Case Managers in Pediatrics facilitate return to school after discharge and home/hospital tutoring
- Master’s Degree in Social Work with current LSW or LCSW license in the state of Illinois.
- Previous experience with Case Management and/or Discharge Planning in a hospital setting
- Previous experience in a rehabilitation setting
Northwestern Medicine is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of age, sex, race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation or any other protected status.