Pile Driver/Welder - #156872
Date: 02/24/2021 00:00 AM
City: Anchorage, Alaska
Contract type: Full Time
Work schedule: Full Day
STG, Incorporated performs construction and project management services across Alaska. Our Pile Driver/Welder must be highly skilled in deep foundation installation and performs general construction duties as part of a construction crew in extreme Alaskan conditions. Prior experience in Alaska's rural construction industry is preferred.
- Perform deep foundation installation for driven and drilled steel piles, thermophiles and adfreeze piles, sheet piles, helical anchors and piles, rock anchors, and concrete foundations.
- Assists in unloading and assembling crane, hammer and leads or other equipment to be used in pile driving.
- Unload various types of piling.
- Perform site preparation, including layout.
- Prepare piling to be driven and assist in positioning and driving piling.
- Perform all associated rigging and signaling to communicate with operator.
- Work with operator to position piles accurately.
- Operate vibratory hammer, diesel hammer and like heavy equipment to accomplish pile driving.
- Utilize hand and power tools necessary to prepare specific piling.
- Perform trade for long hours, day after day, often in adverse conditions, to complete the project at hand.
- Work closely with a variety of other trades.
- Follow directives from Project Foreman, and anyone senior, with the sense of duty to take initiative and remain productive at work at all times while on the jobsite.
- Application of versatile construction skill set to assist other trades to meet project needs.
- Perform physical labor that requires considerable use of one's arms and legs and moving your whole body such as climbing, lifting, balancing, walking, stooping and handling of materials at construction sites.
- Seek and participate in development and training opportunities.
- Work as a "team-player" with co-workers in a respectful and supportive manner, and mentor less-experience laborers.
- Conduct oneself in the best interest of the company while on the job or representing STG.
- Report any incident, situation or activity that may affect the company's ability to operate safety, ethically and profitably to the company Risk Manager.
- Perform shared cooking and cleaning duties as necessary in the field quarters.
- Submit all necessary paperwork to Project Management and Accounting in a timely manner.
- Maintain any required certifications mandatory by law or company policy.
- Work in a constant state of alertness and in a safe manner.
- Perform other duties as directed.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES:
- All around knowledge of materials, terms and practices in construction field.
- Proven knowledge of deep foundation installation techniques for driven and drilled steel piles, thermophiles and adfreeze piles, sheet piles, helical anchors and piles, rock anchors, and concrete foundations.
- Proven knowledge of diesel hammer, vibratory hammer, and rotary/torque heads.
- Knowledge of hand and power tools used in construction trade, and ability to use safely and efficiently.
- Skill in organizing resources, establishing priorities, meeting deadlines and general time management.
- Ability to work in a team environment, take direction from supervisor(s), high degree of attention to details, follow work rules, and adhere to project schedule.
- Ability to work productively under pressure.
- Strong self-motivation and work ethic; ability to work with or without direct supervision.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, regulations, instruction manuals, blueprints, and specifications.
- Ability to travel to remote places for work related purposes (up to 100% of time) and to work a flexible schedule, at times for extended periods of duration.
- Ability to live and work with co-workers in close quarters and keep good morale.
- Ability to participate in group meetings.
- High School Diploma or equivalent required.
- Five or more years' related construction/pile driving experience required.
- Rural arctic construction experience preferred.
- Current welding certification in structural welding position (2F horizontal fillet) required.
- Valid driver's license and qualified to operate a vehicle under the conditions of the Company's Driving Policy preferred.
- Ability to pass a drug, driving (if applicable) and background screening.
- Ability to pass a welding skills test.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. The employee must exercise flexibility with regard to last minute requests for project support and varied workloads.
The demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Continuously: Standing, Walking, Grasping: up to 25 lbs., Eye/Hand Coordination (Foot), Fine Manipulation, Close Vision, Distance Vision, Peripheral Vision, Depth Perception, Ability to Adjust Focus, Handling Stress & Emotions, Concentrating on Tasks, Remember Details, Making Decisions, Adjusting to Changes, Examining/Observing Details, Outside environment: Hot temperatures/Cold Temperatures/Humid, Hazards: Chemical, Electrical, Sharp Objects/Tool, Heavy Machinery, Dirty (Soil), Dry, Fumes, Gases, Odors, Dust, Grease, Oil, Mud, Moving Mechanical Parts, Noise, Vibration
Frequently: Bending Over, Crawling, Climbing, Reaching Overhead, Crouching, Kneeling, Balancing, Pushing or Pulling, Talking, Repetitive Use of Legs (Arms), Lifting up to 75 lbs., Carrying up to 75 lbs., Color Vision, Thinking Analytically, Using Effective Verbal and Written Communication, Discriminating Colors, Unprotected Spaces: High Places/High Heights/Constricted Spaces (Underground), Hot Temperatures (Devices): Hot Burners/Flame Torches, Wet/Slippery Floors/Surfaces, Working w/Others, Working Alone
Preference will be given to Calista shareholders and their descendants and spouses, and to shareholders of other corporations created pursuant to the Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act, in accordance with Title 43 U.S. Code 1626(g) and Title 42 U.S. Code 2003-2(i).
Additionally, STG's policy is to select, place, train and promote the most qualified individuals based upon relevant factors such as work quality, attitude and experience, so as to provide equal employment opportunity for all employees in compliance with applicable local, state and federal laws and without regard to non-work related factors such as race, color, religion/creed, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital status, veteran status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship, genetic information, or other protected status. When applicable, STG's policy of non-discrimination applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to, recruiting, hiring, training, transfer, promotion, placement, layoff, compensation, termination, reduction in force and benefits.
It is STG's business philosophy and practice to provide reasonable accommodations, according to applicable state and federal laws, to all qualified individuals with physical or mental disabilities.
The statements contained in this job description are intended to describe the general content and requirements for performance of this job. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all job duties, responsibilities, and requirements.
This job description is not an employment agreement or contract. Management has the exclusive right to alter the scope of work within the framework of this job description at any time without prior notice.