Health Plan CEO, Employer & Individual - New England - #156838
UnitedHealth Group Inc.
Date: 02/23/2021 23:30 PM
City: Hartford, Connecticut
Contract type: Full Time
Work schedule: Full Day
If you want to achieve more in your mission of healthcare, you have to be really smart about the business of healthcare. Challenge yourself, your peers and our industry by shaping what healthcare looks like and doing your life's best work.(sm)
Reporting to the Region CEO of UnitedHealthcare, the Health Plan CEO will have P&L accountability for all commercial products and distribution in the Market. The CEO will identify, develop and execute strategic initiatives designed to promote profitable growth. Working in a highly matrixed environment this position will ensure alignment and execution of deliverables from key executives and cross functional work groups. The CEO will be the primary face to the community and to market brokers, customers, regulatory and legislative bodies. Market resources including Sales and Marketing, Business Development, Product Development, Network Development, Clinical, Operations, Underwriting/Actuarial Services, External Affairs and Regulatory Affairs will have direct or indirect reporting responsibility to the Health Plan CEO. The Health Plan CEO serves as the key leader in the senior management team that links strategic planning objectives with day-to-day operational execution and is responsible for making timely, informed decisions that take into account the facts, goals, constraints, and risks.
- Articulate market-specific strategies and plans with a focus on sustainable, profitable growth
- Drive the Health Plan's strategies, programs and agenda across the enterprise and in the market
- Build, understand and adjust Health Plan strategies and programs to meet financial budgets and goals
- Identify and drive adoption of innovative contracting and payment strategies/approaches, as appropriate (e.g., next-generation contracting, ACOs)
- Obtain commitment/support for health plan strategies and programs from applicable internal and external stakeholders
- Build commitment and support of matrix partners on the execution of shared business/enterprise goals, particularly as it pertains to UnitedHealthcare and Optum
- Hire and develop a diverse and inclusive management team to build and support Health Plan strategies and goals
- Collaborate with all lines of business (E&I, C&S, M&R and Optum RX, Optum Care) to advance all of UHG capabilities in the market
- Drive Enterprise Health Care Value, Health Plan Efficiency, Quality, and Financial Performance
- Drive more modern, affordable, evidence-based and hassle-free care for those we serve at the market level
- Utilize stakeholder input to help shape and implement continuous improvement in operational quality and financial performance (e.g., encourage participation in Six Sigma projects)
- Ensure internal partners and/or external vendors adhere to business and contractual agreements
- Ensure that business continuity/emergency response plans are reviewed and tested regularly, up-to-date, and can be readily executed
- Utilize relevant systems and tools to identify and/or test opportunities for efficiency improvements (e.g., parallel variable testing)
- Demonstrate understanding of the meaning and implications of key financial indicators (e.g., IOI, trend, BCR, yields, UCRT, clinical indicators)
- Build, understand and adjust health plan forecasts, and balance priorities to meet business commitments
- Analyze health plan performance on relevant criteria (e.g., targeted financial metrics; quality indicators; performance guarantees and/or incentives)
- Analyze budget performance and variances throughout the fiscal year, and recommend and/or make necessary adjustments and corrections
- Work with relevant internal partners (e.g., Finance; Underwriting) to identify resource requirements and/or create budgets and forecasts
- Ensure regularly scheduled and impactful market reviews with participation from applicable business partners (e.g., Underwriting, Network, Clinical and Specialty Products, Operations, Regulatory, Product, and Marketing)
- Review and assign projects/initiatives based on resource capacity, capability, and expertise.
- Conduct deep-dive reviews with relevant internal and/or external stakeholders to identify opportunities for continuous improvement
- Build/Maintain/Manage/Influence Relationships with Internal and External Stakeholders
- Focus on external relationships to understand, influence and adapt to the changing landscape
- Build, develop, improve, influence and expand relationships with: Key customer groups (e.g., employers/ customers, members/consumers, key prospects); Key providers/provider networks within the market; Government and regulatory stakeholders (e.g., local and state government, public policy leaders, lobbyists, regulatory bodies, government affairs, public policy leaders); External business partners (e.g., brokers, consultants, vendors); Local and community stakeholders (e.g., public relations/media, colleges/universities, local business leadership, Chambers of Commerce); and Business leaders across UnitedHealth Group (e.g., C&S, M&R, Optum) to ensure positive outcomes in the local market
- Ensure alignment of the E&I goals and strategies across all internal and external stakeholders to achieve solutions in the interests of the enterprise
- Drive Industry-Leading Customer Service and Satisfaction to optimize NPS
- Create an environment that promotes consumer advocacy (e.g., builds the management team to be consumer advocates, champions a workforce that drives a superior consumer experience)
- Model a continuous focus on maximizing the member, customer and provider experience
- Drive the organization to deliver value beyond customer expectations
- Drive organizational focus on customers and those who serve customers
- Gather and analyze feedback from customers to identify new/emerging needs and make appropriate changes to Health Plan strategies and programs
- Leverage resources from other parts of the enterprise to provide cost-effective, comprehensive customer solutions
- Ensure a coordinated approach to provide a more seamless face to our customers
- Represent the organization as the face of UnitedHealthcare with the external market entities.
- Seek feedback from customers to determine success of overall strategy/program management and implementation
You'll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent business experience
- Demonstrated healthcare industry market experience in the following areas: Health benefits, services, policy and medical delivery operations; Sales and Account Management; Provider contracts; and Actuarial Services and Underwriting
- Proven success in leadership roles including: Owning a P&L with a track record of market share growth; Developing a vision and implementing the strategies and tactics to execute in a highly matrixed environment; Building relationships cross-functionally and leading toward common goals; Leading a team with measurable success attracting, developing and retaining top talent; and Leading in a field-based organization
- You will be asked to perform this role in an office setting or other company location.
- Employees are required to screen for symptoms using the ProtectWell mobile app, Interactive Voice Response (i.e., entering your symptoms via phone system) or a similar UnitedHealth Group-approved symptom screener prior to entering the work site each day, in order to keep our work sites safe. Employees must comply with any state and local masking orders. In addition, when in a UnitedHealth Group building, employees are expected to wear a mask in areas where physical distancing cannot be attained.
Careers at UnitedHealthcare Employer & Individual. We all want to make a difference with the work we do. Sometimes we're presented with an opportunity to make a difference on a scale we couldn't imagine. Here, you get that opportunity every day. As a member of one of our elite teams, you'll provide the ideas and solutions that help nearly 25 million customers live healthier lives. You'll help write the next chapter in the history of health care. And you'll find a wealth of open doors and career paths that will take you as far as you want to go. Go further. This is your life's best work.(sm)
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
Job Keywords: Hartford, Connecticut, CT, Waltham, Massachusetts, MA, New England, 911696