Release Engineering and Automation Engineer - #156708
Date: 02/23/2021 21:30 PM
City: Woodcliff Lake, New Jersey
Contract type: Full Time
Work schedule: Full Day
Catalogic Software helps organizations worldwide to catalog, protect, and manage their data. We are committed to delivering the industry's most intelligent copy data and data protection solutions.
This is a mid-level individual contributor role. An ideal candidate will have around 5-8 years experience. This position is not offering visa sponsorship.
The release engineer role has 3 key objectives:
- Maintenance and development of a Jenkins CI/CD pipeline for product build and release along with all associated build systems and resources.
- Improvement of build tools and methods for our developers
- Improvement of CI/CD systems to modernize and streamline operations.
This is a key role that works on a focused product team of developers, QA engineers, and subject matter experts. This team interfaces with a key business partner that guides and drives the Agile product development cycle.
This position will be tasked with reviewing and documenting existing Jenkins based CI/CD build systems and then working to incrementally improve these for new requirements and integrating newer technologies. The builds currently utilize Maven, Packer, Gitlab, Docker, rpmbuild, and Kubernetes. It is also spread across Linux, Windows, and various cloud based platforms.
This role will be tasked to explore new programs and methods to help streamline operations.
This position is technical hands on and requires having a very strong base in the following technologies:
- GIT source management
- Linux and UNIX systems administration including bash and/or Perl scripting
- Maven and Java build management
- VMware administration
- Docker use and Kubernetes fundamentals
- Comfortable with Windows administration, build execution
- Strong troubleshooting skills
There are many subsystems that are integrated into this build and release pipeline. The following skills are also desired to have:
- Packer and Kickstart
- Gitlab management with CI/CD pipelines
- Ansible configuration management
- AWS, Azure, IBM COS, Google, Oracle and other cloud providers
- Python programming
- Knowledge of C, C++, and Go related software build systems
- Terraform deployment automation
- Hyper-v virtualization
Technical aptitude and troubleshooting skills are very important here. We need someone who is smart, trainable, mature, and a very clear communicator. Candidate must have command of English language and be able to read and produce technical documentation. Candidate will perform technical tasks including but not limited to: working with cloud, virtualization, containers and hardware, configuring storage, loading operating systems, learning new technologies, and daily systems troubleshooting.
Soft skills are important here. We desire coachable, positive-minded people. Critical thinkers that can try & suggest new methods of system management. Being detail oriented is very important. We need team players that can collaborate across teams and also work independently when needed. Customer interaction may be required at times. Partner interaction across companies will be required.
Other tasks would include but not limited to: Documenting the operation and maintenance of existing systems, maintaining and upgrading critical systems, troubleshooting product releases, building software releases, improving existing build and deployment test systems, maintaining existing product upgrade services. Other duties will be assigned as needed and specified by senior management.
As work in this role progresses, you will be trained and gain experience in one or more technical areas, and will have opportunity to grow into areas of interest and skill. Training on enterprise equipment and our developed software solutions will be provided as needed.
Position is offered in our US Woodcliff Lake office. We would prefer a local candidate that could work in our Woodcliff Lake facility once our office re-opens.
What tools we use:
- JIRA for issue and project management
- GitLab for code Versioning
- Confluence for documentation
- Jenkins and GitLab for builds and CI/CD
- Ansible for automated deployments, provisioning
- Docker, Docker Swarm, Kubernetes
- AWS, COS, Azure, and other S3 cloud providers
- Windows, Linux, UNIX
- VMware, Hyper-V