Senior Software Engineer, Business Data - #156552
Date: 02/23/2021 19:00 PM
City: Brooklyn, New York
Contract type: Full Time
Work schedule: Full Day
Etsy is the global marketplace for unique and creative goods. We build, power, and evolve the tools and technologies that connect entrepreneurs with buyers around the world. As an Etsy employee, you’ll tackle unique problems alongside talented coworkers committed to Keeping Commerce Human. We're large enough that you'll focus on meaningful, complex challenges, but small enough that you can make a rewarding impact.
The members of our Data Engineering department build systems and infrastructure for collecting, storing, and analyzing huge sets of data in batch and streaming pipelines. As a sub-team within Data Engineering, the Business Data team is responsible for the quality, content, and timely delivery of our core analytics and business intelligence data sets. We build and maintain tools to help the rest of the company find, transform, store, and visualize their data. We value curiosity, enthusiasm, responsibility and generosity of spirit.
We're looking for a skilled engineer who cares about the data that flows through pipelines and the internal customers who will use that data. We work in Scala, Python, PHP, Java, and SQL, and we work with technologies like Hadoop, Kafka, Scalding, Airflow, Avro/Thrift, Vertica, Looker, GCS, Dataproc, and BigQuery. Experience with any of these is helpful but not required.
The technical staff at Etsy believes that code is craft, and that the work we do is part of a larger creative culture that includes the hundreds of thousands of inspired artists and designers who make Etsy such a unique marketplace. We believe that small, empowered, self-motivated teams can do big things. We believe in measuring everything, taking advantage of our pioneering continuous deployment system to ship code early and often, and keeping up a blameless culture based on trust and a commitment to learning.
This is a full-time role with options to work in our headquarters located in Brooklyn, NY (remote will also be considered).
For candidates who will work remotely from Colorado, visit this link for information related to Colorado's Equal Pay for Equal Work Act.
About the Role:
- Our team is responsible for the daily delivery of hundreds of business-critical datasets in batch and streaming.
- We help define, maintain, and monitor the ETLs that generate our core business analytics datasets.
- We build and maintain internal tools for finding, querying, transforming, and visualizing data.
- We support the company's analytics database and work to establish best practices for users of it.
- You understand that being an effective software engineer is about communicating with people as much as it is about writing code.
- You are willing to work with and improve code you did not originally write.
- You are generous with your time and experience, and can mentor other engineers.
- You are flexible with languages and tools and are willing to learn whatever is necessary to get the job done.
- You can take on unconstrained problems and know when to seek help.
- You have familiarity with a few of the following: Writing and scheduling ETL pipelines, either batch or streaming. Writing SQL queries for exploration and analysis. Building and modifying full-stack internal tool web apps
If you're interested in joining the team at Etsy, please send a cover letter and resume telling us why you'd be right for the position. As you’ve hopefully seen already, Etsy is a place that values individuality and variety. We don’t want you to be like everyone else — we want you to be like you! So write to us and tell us what you’re all about.
At Etsy, we believe that a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace makes us a more relevant, more competitive, and more resilient company. We encourage people from all backgrounds, ages, abilities, and experiences to apply. Etsy is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, pregnancy or caregiver status, veteran status, or any other legally protected status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations to participate in the job application and interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. While Etsy supports visa sponsorship, sponsorship opportunities may be limited to certain roles and skillsets.