Applications Engineer - #156223
Date: 02/23/2021 12:30 PM
City: Bloomington, Minnesota
Contract type: Full Time
Work schedule: Full Day
Donaldson is committed to solving the world's most complex filtration challenges. Employing innovation and breakthrough solutions, we are advancing filtration for a cleaner world. We look for the best people to help us succeed, offering opportunities to learn, effect change, and make meaningful contributions at work and in our communities. This is a place where you can make a world of difference.
Follow Us on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/donaldson/
Are you an Engineer who enjoys working in a strong, team-based culture to develop innovative new products as an industry leader? If you have talent, initiative and a desire to join a thriving and stable global company with a wealth of career opportunities, you can go places with Donaldson Company, a leading provider of filtration solutions.
As an Applications Engineer at Donaldson Company, you will not only play a part in creating products that impact lives, but also provide value and direction for the engine filtration industry. You will be responsible for a variety of diesel exhaust emission reducing products helping Donaldson achieve its aggressive company growth targets. Donaldson possesses a great breadth of industry and product diversity, affording optimal career flexibility as you gain engineering experience. In this role you will work closely with the world's premier HD engine manufactures to design, develop and launch new emissions products.
- Meet technical project objectives based on the proper interpretation of market needs, preparation of concept studies, feasibility trade-offs, probabilities of technical success, and preparation of technical plans. Be responsible for successfully completing assigned projects.
- Clearly and concisely communicate technical results and information through drawings, specifications, standards, reports and other forms for appropriate company, customer, vendor or other departments for their implementation.
- Investigate problems and requirements of projects, and develop plans for solutions in line with economic, personnel and environmental considerations.
- Maximize engineering results from resources allocated to his/her area of assignment through effective use of interpersonal skills.
- Recommend, adapt, and apply company products to meet market needs consistent with requirements of cost, design, production, installation, maintenance, and standardization (design guidelines).
- Provide effective technical support to Sales on possible product application, evaluation of customer requirements or the solution of technical problems in areas of expertise.
- Guide selection of new suppliers. Interfaces with existing suppliers to ensure purchased parts meet specifications, product improvements are implemented, and product defects are resolved.
- Participate in design and validation reviews.
- Lead DFMEA's and participates in PFMEA's
- Develop DVP&R plans and validates designs.
- Confer with supervisor as necessary to obtain guidance or direction on individual assignments and keep informed of important developments.
- Ability to grow into a position that leads product development projects through a stage-gate product development process in support of meeting product performance, reliability, cost and project schedule goals.
- Conceive the design of new or upgraded products within project design guidelines in a manner which will maintain or improve the company's product leadership position in the diesel engine exhaust emissions industry.
- Lead activities with computer aided engineering (CAE) personnel in order to conduct appropriate analysis to solve technical problems and communicate results to stakeholders
- Act as a critical resource in solving complex issues that have a wide scale effect on Donaldson's technology and business opportunities.
- Lead testing and research efforts resulting in products that are manufacturable and consistently meet and/or exceed customer expectations.
- Ensure compliance with government and organization engineering standards.
- Understand customer's needs for exhaust/emission product and monitors competitive product and patents to ensure Donaldson maintains a competitive advantage.
- Interface with application engineers, manufacturing engineers and product development engineers and technicians to provide constructive input concerning the design of new concepts and the building of prototypes and in the introduction of new designs.
- Bachelor's degree in mechanical or aerospace engineering and 2 plus years of experience in engineering design or development, or a Master's degree in engineering.
- Demonstrated ability to complete projects per plan and work in a team environment.
- Experienced with stage-gate processes.
- Basic knowledge of diesel engines is desired.
- Basic understanding of metal forming and fabrication techniques.
- Demonstrated competency in the following areas: analytical testing, design, and project management.
- Must be able to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Ability to design in CAD is beneficial.
Come make a World of Difference!
Employment opportunities for positions in the United States may require use of information which is subject to the export control regulations of the United States. Hiring decisions for such positions are required by law to be made in compliance with these regulations. Applicants for employment opportunities in other countries must be able to meet the comparable export control requirements of that country and of the United States.
Our policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified persons without regard to race, gender, color, disability, national origin, age, religion, union affiliation, sexual orientation, veteran status, citizenship, gender identity and/or expression, or other status protected by law.