GM Plant Communication Manager -Western New York - #156026
Date: 02/23/2021 06:00 AM
City: Rochester, New York
Contract type: Full Time
Work schedule: Full Day
There's never been a more exciting time to work for General Motors.
To achieve our vision of a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion, we need people to join us who are passionate about creating safer, better and more sustainable ways for people to get around. This bold vision won't happen overnight, but just as we transformed how the world moved in the last century, we are committed to transforming how we move today and in the future.
Why Work for Us
Our culture is focused on building inclusive teams, where differences and unique perspectives are embraced so you can contribute to your fullest potential as you pursue your career. Our locations feature a variety of work environments, including open work spaces and virtual connection platforms to inspire productivity and flexible collaboration. And we are proud to support our employees volunteer interests, and make it a priority to join together in efforts that give back to our communities.
The Plant Communication Manager provides strategic guidance to our plant teams, so that they can connect, collaborate and communicate creating GM Manufacturing as a competitive advantage for the company.
This position will primarily support the day-to-day communication strategy and tactics at Tonawanda Engine. The position will also provide strategic support and communication counsel for GM Components Holding (GMCH) location in Rochester, NY and Lockport, NY.
- Develop plant communications strategy that focuses on the three core elements of plant communications: employee engagement, reputation and business acumen
- Manage plant Facebook page and other aspects of internal communications, with an approach that is employee centric and builds upon a One Team approach to the business
- Lead key elements of the One Workforce Strategy Initiatives targeted at closing the engagement gap at the facility
- Identify and manage plant scheduling changes through partnership with plant leaders, corporate MFG/Labor team
- Engage employees through multiple mechanisms including face-to-face meetings, written communication, broadcasts, etc.
- Coach plant leadership to build effective communication strategies, including taking the lead on crisis communications
- Tailor corporate messages / announcements for plant employees and the community, ensuring that GM speaks with one central voice in the region.
- Manage media relations and proactively place manufacturing stories in local media outlets
- Help educate employees about GM vehicles, so they can be strong product ambassadors
- Support plant leaders/public policy in building relationships with community leaders and government officials. Maintain list of key contacts and support corporate grass roots initiatives
- Charitable giving – Provide strategic guidance on giving and promote activities to internal and external audiences
Additional Job Description
- BA in Communications or related field (Journalist, Marketing) and 7 to 10 years of professional experience
- Experience in developing communications plans that drive business results in a manufacturing environment
- Ability to build relations with employees at various levels, including represented employees
- Skilled in media / public relations with experience as a company spokesperson
- Experience in crisis communications
- Internal communications and employee engagement experience
- Ability to deal with ambiguity and work in a dynamic environment
- Ability to counsel and interact comfortably with senior leaders
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Self-directed with the ability to work with minimal supervision: flexible, adaptable and creative
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Interest and technical automotive knowledge helpful
- Experience in manufacturing and labor communications – a plus
- Travel – less than 10 percent; required to support communication activities on 2nd and 3rd shift from time to time
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
- Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
- Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
- Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
- Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
- Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
- Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.