CORPORATE STAFF ACCOUNTANT IV - #116494
Summary: The Corporate Staff Accountant IV role is an oversite role focused on the accuracy of (1) the financial transactions and (2) the financial outputs (i.e. GAAP and SEC compliant financial statements). This role performs senior level complex accounting functions and reporting through the preparation of balance sheets, profit and loss statements, and other financial reports. Responsibilities include analyzing trends, costs, revenues, financial commitments, and obligations incurred to predict future revenues and expenses. Reports the organization's finances to management, and offers suggestions about resource utilization, tax strategies, and assumptions underlying budget forecasts. This position identifies process improvement opportunities and may provide functional advice and training to less experienced Accountants. The Corporate Staff Accountant IV oversees general accounting functions as assigned by management.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Uses Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and controls that will prevent or reduce risk of potential misstatements or misappropriations.
- Monitors compliance with GAAP, Sarbanes Oxley Requirements, internal controls, and company and departmental procedures.
- Reconciles general ledger accounts through analysis and review of transactional level detail to ensure accuracy and completeness.
- Reviews, investigates, and corrects errors and inconsistencies in financial entries, documents, and reports.
- Compiles and analyzes financial information to ensure accuracy and completeness.
- Prepares journal entries for the general ledger based on reconciliations and analytics to correct transactional level errors.
- Leads month-end close process and the preparation of monthly reporting packages, preparation of the management financial briefings and monthly financial reviews for the Senior Leadership Team.
- Trains and mentors less experienced accountants. Manages projects and assumes a leadership role in assigned meetings.
- Prepares and analyzes budget to actual performance for assigned departments on a monthly basis. Presents findings and communicates corrective recommendations to department leadership.
- Analyzes financial information and prepares balance sheet, profit and loss statement, and other reports (including 10-K’s and 10-Q’s) to summarize and interpret current and projected company financial position for management.
- Audits contracts, orders, and vouchers, and prepares reports to substantiate individual transactions prior to settlement.
- Maintains responsibility for key Accounting functions (i.e. cash, investments, accounts receivable, prepaids, fixed assets, internally developed software, notes receivable, notes payable, leases, deferred rent, accounts payable, customer advances, accrued expenses, income taxes, rebates, payroll, etc.).
- Manages internal resources to successfully perform assigned duties within the Accounting group. Serves as a key control in developing and administering policies, business processes and quality standards, and developing and maintaining cross-functional and interdepartmental relationships.
- Works under deadlines and quickly resolve accounting challenges that impacts many of the functional areas of the company.
- Drives positive change through the organization by identifying issues and proposing solutions, seeing the selected method for resolution through, and maintaining the solution as appropriate.
- Proactively acts to understand client needs and identify solutions to non-standard tasks/queries.
- Provides solutions to a diverse range of complex problems.
- Anticipates potential control issues and works to resolve them before becoming audit findings. Interfaces effectively with audit staff.
- Serves as a subject matter expert on generally accepted accounting principles and financial accounting standards.
- Manages process improvement and simplification initiatives. Creates processes and procedures to make the group more streamlined and efficient. Develops and recommends enhancements to accounting methods and procedures.
- Develops procedures for new processes and assists in the transition of new systems or policies that impact accounting.
- Interfaces with other business units and departments to understand how their activities impact the business unit financials and partner with these departments to identify and implement process improvements.
- Performs research on accounting and financial reporting issues and communicates conclusions to management.
- Assists management in the review of work provided by other team members.
- Keeps up to date with the accounting field and best practices. Initiates attendance in continuing education.
This job has no supervisory responsibilities but frequently leads and directs the work of others as directed by management.
This is an internal client facing position that requires customer service skills and interpersonal communication skills (listening/verbal/written). One must be able to; Respond promptly to client needs; solicit client feedback to improve service; Respond to requests for service and assistance from clients; Meet commitments to clients; Manage difficult or emotional client situations. This position has limited external client contact.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
Bachelor's degree or equivalent combination of education and experience along with 6-8+ years related accounting experience.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must have evidence of advanced working knowledge accounting software used by larger corporations (MAS500, Oracle ERP or similar) as well as solid skills Microsoft Office (Excel, Word) and Outlook.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
Certified Public Accountant designation strongly preferred.
Other Skills and Abilities
Senior level knowledge, understanding, and can apply GAAP concepts and rules; knowledgeable of the accounting field's current concepts, practices, and procedures; advanced experience applying GAAP concepts and rules required; general ledger proficiency required; experience analyzing and reporting data in order to identify issues, trends, or exceptions to drive improvements of results and find solutions.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, and percentages. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Competencies To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Change Management - Exemplifies a positive, proactive response to change, fully grasps and articulates the envisioned results of the change process, keeps others informed about events and trends that may impact the organization, and involves others in the change process to maximize buy-in and minimize stress.
- Corporate Responsibility - Demonstrates good business citizenship, considers and monitors the impact of business activities on all stakeholders (including shareholders, customers, suppliers, employees, and community), and uses concrete guidelines and measures to ensure that actions are consistent with standards of corporate responsibility.
- Influence - Persuades others of the value of an idea or course of action, enlists cooperation and support while maintaining positive work relationships, builds consensus by communicating effectively and demonstrating an understanding of others’ positions, and effectively motivates others to buy into projects and goals.
- Organizational Understanding - Demonstrates clear understanding of organizational structure, mission, goals and values, including awareness of the goals, processes and needs of other functions in the organization.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
This position must work on-site at the San Diego Headquarters (or other company location) for purposes of providing adequate support to internal clients; being available for face-to-face interactions and coordination of work with other employees, colleagues, clients, or vendors; as well as for facilitation of quick and effective decisions through collaboration with stakeholders. Periodic scheduled remote work may be permitted as allowed under the department’s policy and with management approval.
This is an exempt level position requiring one to work the hours needed to get the job done. Therefore one must have the flexibility to work beyond traditional hours and be able to work nights, weekends or on holidays as required. This may be changed from time to time to meet the needs of the business. Typical core business hours are Monday through Friday from 8:00am to 5:00pm.
Travel - This position may require domestic and international travel based on business need.